Hi List,

I try building rakudo from git clone git://github.com/rakudo/rakudo.git but during make it hangs forever (12+ hours) at

/usr/local/bin/parrot perl6_s1.pbc --target=pir src/gen_setting.pm > src/gen_setting.pir

While it hangs at that line the linux (Debian 5.0 Lenny) box starts lots of swapping activity.

Anybody have any ideas what might be happening?

Thanks,
Paul

Search Discussions

  • Carl Mäsak at Nov 22, 2009 at 4:08 pm

    Paul (>):
    I try building rakudo from git clone git://github.com/rakudo/rakudo.git but during make it hangs forever (12+ hours) at

    /usr/local/bin/parrot  perl6_s1.pbc --target=pir src/gen_setting.pm > src/gen_setting.pir

    While it hangs at that line the linux (Debian 5.0 Lenny) box starts lots of swapping activity.

    Anybody have any ideas what might be happening?
    Yes, that step is pretty resource-intensive.

    From your description, it sounds like Rakudo could use a little more
    memory during compilation. On my computer, that compile step takes
    about 3 minutes, and sucks up about 750 MB of RAM. My guess is that
    you have less than that free when you're building Rakudo.

    // Carl
  • Paul Simon at Nov 22, 2009 at 4:15 pm

    I try building rakudo from git clone git://github.com/rakudo/rakudo.git but
    during make it hangs forever (12+ hours) at
    /usr/local/bin/parrot perl6_s1.pbc --target=pir src/gen_setting.pm >
    src/gen_setting.pir
    While it hangs at that line the linux (Debian 5.0 Lenny) box starts lots of
    swapping activity.
    Anybody have any ideas what might be happening?
    Yes, that step is pretty resource-intensive.

    From your description, it sounds like Rakudo could use a little more
    memory during compilation. On my computer, that compile step takes
    about 3 minutes, and sucks up about 750 MB of RAM. My guess is that
    you have less than that free when you're building Rakudo.

    // Carl
    The system has only 256 MB with few resources being used. That's a big difference
    between 12+ hours and 3 minutes! Maybe I should invest in more RAM :-)
  • Geoffrey Broadwell at Nov 22, 2009 at 5:35 pm