  • Larry Wall at Oct 7, 2008 at 4:09 pm
    By the by, I don't know what you're using to send mail, but it's a
    bit difficult to extract URIs from your message when most of them are
    broken by autowrapping. This will be a more frequent problem as long
    as the average length of URIs in the world is growing, so it's probably
    worth dealing with. Anyway, my mailer is not smart enough to intuit
    that the next line should be glued to the previous, and arguably if
    it were smart enough, it would be making unwarranted guesses anyway,
    since there's really no way of knowing for sure, apart from whitespace.

    Larry
  • Aristotle Pagaltzis at Oct 7, 2008 at 5:49 pm

    * Larry Wall [2008-10-07 18:10]:
    Anyway, my mailer is not smart enough to intuit that the next
    line should be glued to the previous, and arguably if it were
    smart enough, it would be making unwarranted guesses anyway,
    since there's really no way of knowing for sure, apart from
    whitespace.
    But note that with the right combination of software, this
    becomes unproblematic. You need: X11 as your windowing system,
    Firefox as the browser, at minimum. Because when you middle-click
    into a Firefox window to load the URL from the current selection,
    Firefox ignores newlines.

    If you use a terminal mail client, it must be competent and so
    must be your terminal emulator: both must ensure that the fully
    selected lines aren’t padded with whitespace on the right. (I use
    mutt and rxvt-unicode.)

    It’s a somewhat tall order I guess, but if you happen to be able
    to meet it, dealing with mangled URLs is painless.

    And now for something completely different:

    In this case you don’t even need to deal with the URL mangling!
    Just the http://stackoverflow.com/questions/{numeric-id} part is
    enough for Stack Overflow to bring up the right Q&A. The long
    human-readable path segment after that is merely for the benefit
    of humans.

  • Conrad Schneiker at Oct 7, 2008 at 6:29 pm

    Larry wrote:

    By the by, I don't know what you're using to send mail, but it's a
    bit difficult to extract URIs from your message when most of them are
    broken by autowrapping. This will be a more frequent problem as long
    as the average length of URIs in the world is growing, so it's probably
    worth dealing with. Anyway, my mailer is not smart enough to intuit
    that the next line should be glued to the previous, and arguably if
    it were smart enough, it would be making unwarranted guesses anyway,
    since there's really no way of knowing for sure, apart from whitespace.
    First, thanks much for letting me know. Sorry about that.
    (Please see below for hopefully-corrected version.)

    Second, the guilty program is MS Outlook 2007.

    (At least it's not nearly as terrible as Word 2007.)

    For the benefit of others, here's what I just tweaked:

    Tools/Options/Mail Format/Internet Format
    Under "Plain Text Options",
    I set "Auto. Wrap Text at [132] Chars."
    (that's the max. value it will accept)

    Apparently this only works for non-HTML mail.
    (So I guess it's back to Vim for editing/wrapping.)

    Let's give this another try with the original content:

    For newbies, here's the "About" page for Stackoverflow.com:

    http://stackoverflow.com/about

    Page showing questions that are tagged "perl6"

    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/perl6

    Perl 6 threads of interest (the tailing part of URL is self-descriptive):

    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/170268/what-features-of-perl6-are-you-the-most-excited-about
    (Of course I added **** "NOVEMBER" **** to the list of answers.)

    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/66165/whats-happening-with-perl6

    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/125265/how-does-perl-6-evaluate-truthiness