Maintainer: Nathan Wiger <nate@wiger.org>
Date: 04 Aug 2000
Last-Modified: 14 Aug 2000
Version: 2
Mailing List: perl6-language@perl.org
Number: 29

=head1 STATUS

This RFC was discussed on perl6-language-unlink with no
objections. It has been frozen in its current format.

=head1 ABSTRACT

Some people have suggested that unlink() is too Unix
centric, that that it should be renamed to something
like delete() or remove().

This should not happen. unlink() should remain unlink().

=head1 DESCRIPTION

While on the surface, renaming unlink() may seem like
a not-too-bad-idea, in reality it has many bad parts:

1. It confuses experienced Perl, C, and Unix programmers

2. It makes link() and symlink() almost non-sensical

3. It's possible to have more than one link to a file
in Unix, meaning unlink() != delete().

4. It's a useless change. It's not broken.

Renaming a function just for the sake of renaming a
function, when in reality it works identically to the
native C counterpart, does not add value to Perl 6.

=head1 IMPLEMENTATION

Nothing to be done!

For those that are adamant about this, I suggest that
they consider writing a module, say "Win32::Synonyms",
that could be composed of typeglobs:

*delete = \&CORE::unlink;

With better referencing in Perl 6 this should be easily
possible. However, I think it's RABID (Really A Bad IDea)
at best.

=head1 REFERENCES

RFC 28: Perl should stay Perl, by Simon Cozens

Unix unlink(2) man page

groupperl6-language @
categoriesperl
postedAug 15, '00 at 4:06p