All-

I'm writing a prototype for RFC 99, Standardize ALL Perl platforms on
UNIX epoch, which does some simplistic manipulation of CORE::time to
return the UNIX epoch on all platforms.

My question is: Are there any system-specific epochs that Perl uses
other than MacPerl's? If so, what are they?

Thanks,
Nate

Search Discussions

  • Charles Lane at Sep 12, 2000 at 12:05 pm

    Nathan Wiger wrote:
    I'm writing a prototype for RFC 99, Standardize ALL Perl platforms on
    UNIX epoch, which does some simplistic manipulation of CORE::time to
    return the UNIX epoch on all platforms.

    My question is: Are there any system-specific epochs that Perl uses
    other than MacPerl's? If so, what are they?
    VMS prior to version 7.0 uses an epoch of 1 Jan 1970, 0:00 *local time*
    (not UTC) for the unixy time() function.

    In Perl 5 there's code in vms/vms.c that deals with the choice of
    epoch, intercepting calls to time()/gmtime() and adjusting
    appropriately so even pre-7.0 systems can have a Perl with the
    "standard" Unix epoch.

    Note that there's also an issue of timezone/DST-support; I wrote code
    to handle this for VMS pre 7.0 systems, but it was never incorporated
    into Perl 5.

    [The native VMS time functions use an epoch of 17 Nov 1858 0:00 (local
    time), IIRC ...but they're 64 bit times that will roll over around the
    year 31,000 give or take a millenium]
    --
    Drexel University \V --Chuck Lane

groupperl6-language-datetime @
categoriesperl
postedSep 12, '00 at 2:26a
activeSep 12, '00 at 12:05p
websiteperl6.org

2 users in discussion

Nathan Wiger: 1 post Charles Lane: 1 post