On 16 Sep 1989 00:05:21 GMT, Larry Wall wrote:
Perl 3.0 gamma is now available for testing. You can get it via anonymous
FTP from jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov (128.149.1.143), ~ftp/pub/perl.3.0-gamma.

If you can't FTP, and are really motivated, I can mail all 24 kits to you.
But don't expect official patch type support till the real thing comes out.

I've posted a set of differences between the beta and the gamma to
alt.sources, so you can upgrade that way if you aren't into FTP.

One difference you'll notice is the presence of opendir, etc.

By the way, today is my 10th wedding anniversary. My wife's, too.
20th, you mean. :-)

Happy anniversary, Larry. And to your wife, too.

Sarathy
gsar@activestate.com

Search Discussions

  • Larry Wall at Sep 17, 1999 at 12:08 am
    : >Perl 3.0 gamma is now available for testing. You can get it via anonymous
    : >FTP from jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov (128.149.1.143), ~ftp/pub/perl.3.0-gamma.
    : >
    : >If you can't FTP, and are really motivated, I can mail all 24 kits to you.
    : >But don't expect official patch type support till the real thing comes out.
    : >
    : >I've posted a set of differences between the beta and the gamma to
    : >alt.sources, so you can upgrade that way if you aren't into FTP.
    : >
    : >One difference you'll notice is the presence of opendir, etc.
    : >
    : >By the way, today is my 10th wedding anniversary. My wife's, too.
    :
    : 20th, you mean. :-)
    :
    : Happy anniversary, Larry. And to your wife, too.

    Thank you. Though actually, if you look carefully, you'll see my
    anniversary was yesterday, since I was more than 5 hours and 21 minutes
    west of Greenwich at the time. :-)

    I have some advice. Never get married in September. You'll spend all
    your anniversaries going to Back to School Nights. Don't get born in
    September either.

    Actually, Glo and I celebrated by going down last Saturday to see
    Hearst Castle. Always under construction, never quite completed.
    Impressive nonetheless. Remind you of anything?

    Oh, what else was it reminded me of Perl today? Something on the radio
    this morning. Oh yeah, it was the Tosco refinery fire critique. (Four
    people died in a fire when they tried to replace a pipe on a tower that
    happened to be full of naphtha.) Anyway, not to make light of it, but
    the federal investigators had a number of complaints. Everyone had a
    different idea about whether this was routine maintenence or not.
    There was little documentation on the procedures for fixing the thing.
    Not that it would have mattered anyway because there was too little
    oversight of the process. To top it all off, they were making
    modifications to the tower while other people were using it.

    Ouch! I heard this while driving along with nothing to write on, but
    those points just all stuck in my head with no problem at all, for some
    reason.

    Anyway, this brings up my final bit of advice. If you want to stay happily
    married for twenty years, be careful that you make the right mistakes.

    Larry
  • Larry Wall at Sep 17, 1999 at 12:13 am
    : : >Perl 3.0 gamma is now available for testing. You can get it via anonymous
    : : Happy anniversary, Larry. And to your wife, too.
    :
    : Thank you. Though actually, if you look carefully, you'll see my
    : anniversary was yesterday, since I was more than 5 hours and 21 minutes
    : west of Greenwich at the time. :-)

    I guess that'd be 5 minutes and 21 seconds, actually...

    Just practicing making the right mistakes... :-)

    Larry
  • Craig A. Berry at Sep 17, 1999 at 5:18 pm

    Actually, Glo and I celebrated by going down last Saturday to see
    Hearst Castle. Always under construction, never quite completed.
    Impressive nonetheless. Remind you of anything?
    Yes, but this elegant pastiche called Perl practices its eclecticism without damaging the venerable artefacts it has stolen from other places. I've heard, for example, that curly braces and semicolons still perform useful functions in their original contexts despite Perl's appropriation of them. The same cannot be said for the medieval chant manuscripts whose vellum Mr. Hearst has turned into lampshades.
    Craig A. Berry
    mailto:craig.berry@metamor.com

groupperl5-porters @
categoriesperl