Apologies for running a little late on this (given that it would be
nice to get 5.22.2 out before 5.24.0 is released, if possible) but
I've finally updated the voting file for 5.22.2:

http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/commitdiff/f1d05e056b

This is all the candidates that I would propose cherry-picking, as of
the latest change currently in blead (389f4c1ef8).

I've left out the fixes for perl#126182 and the follow-on perl#127705
because there have been several updates to the changes, some of them
only VERY recently, so I don't think it would be wise to try
backporting these changes so soon (and possibly not at all if they are
deemed to be too invasive for a maintenance branch):

24be310237...ba6840fbf2
401a80220e...7b03147800
6ad9a8abfd...1e37780e62
eb8fc9fea6
595de7616f...ce12e25481

Otherwise I hope I've covered everything that is important (and kept
less important changes to a minimum, for some definition of
"minimum"), but please let me know if you spot anything that I've
missed.

All of the changes that I've listed in the file cherry-pick cleanly
(or with only trivial conflicts), and it builds and passes all tests
on Windows 8.1, VC++ 2010.

Committers, please consider casting some votes so that we might get
5.22.2 out during April.

Search Discussions

  • Matthew Horsfall (alh) at Mar 15, 2016 at 2:33 pm
    Can we add:

    commit 69202faf9bbb2df79c480c008af81e3716263ae4

         Fix perldoc -f sleep to use $SIG{ALRM} instead of $SIG{ALARM}.

    Thanks,

    -- Matthew Horsfall (alh)
  • Steve Hay at Mar 16, 2016 at 8:35 am

    commit 69202faf9bbb2df79c480c008af81e3716263ae4

    Fix perldoc -f sleep to use $SIG{ALRM} instead of $SIG{ALARM}.
    Thanks -- added, with your vote, in commit
    6997bf221ea4485c697421959b098b04790ef671.
  • Karl Williamson at Mar 15, 2016 at 11:15 pm

[...]

    I'd like to suggest 6f8848d55c2ea11b7ed7f8cf1afb2d6a28c76e4d which helps
    quite a bit on saving memory with perl#126182, and is simple enough to
    apply in a maintenance release
  • Steve Hay at Mar 16, 2016 at 8:36 am

[...]

    Thanks. I'd be in favour of backporting this even though it doesn't
    quite fit any of the usual categories, since it goes some way to
    helping #126182, which is something I'd normally want to see fixed,
    but the fixes for which aren't really suitable right now.

    However, when I gave it a trial run I found that only the first hunk
    (in S_get_ANYOF_cp_list_for_ssc()) applied. The second hunk didn't
    since S_put_charclass_bitmap_innards() is very different in maint-5.22
    compared to blead. If somebody could confirm that the first hunk alone
    is worth having, or can provide a maint-specific version of the patch
    that includes the second hunk too, then I'll be happy to add this to
    the voting file.
  • Karl Williamson at Mar 16, 2016 at 4:28 pm

[...]

    The first hunk is worth having. The second hunk only runs when under
    -Dr or use re Debug.
  • Steve Hay at Mar 17, 2016 at 8:37 am

[...]

    Thanks for the suggestion and clarification - now added to the voting
    file in commit 3e7ad6809fa0a828098597a8706577011d61d5cd.
  • Tom Hukins at Mar 16, 2016 at 9:54 am

    Apologies for running a little late on this (given that it would be
    nice to get 5.22.2 out before 5.24.0 is released, if possible) but
    I've finally updated the voting file for 5.22.2:

    http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/commitdiff/f1d05e056b

    This is all the candidates that I would propose cherry-picking, as of
    the latest change currently in blead (389f4c1ef8).
    Please consider 9234e5 (your t/io/semctl.t fixes). This might not help
    many users (perhaps just me) but it's a small, non-intrusive change.

    Whether this change makes it in or not, I'm looking forward to running
    5.22.2.

    Tom
  • Chad Granum at Mar 16, 2016 at 2:56 pm
    Can we make sure the fix to
    https://rt.perl.org/SelfService/Display.html?id=126981 is in there? This
    one has bitten me a few times.
    On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 02:21:35PM +0000, Steve Hay via perl5-porters
    Apologies for running a little late on this (given that it would be
    nice to get 5.22.2 out before 5.24.0 is released, if possible) but
    I've finally updated the voting file for 5.22.2:

    http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/commitdiff/f1d05e056b

    This is all the candidates that I would propose cherry-picking, as of
    the latest change currently in blead (389f4c1ef8).
    Please consider 9234e5 (your t/io/semctl.t fixes). This might not help
    many users (perhaps just me) but it's a small, non-intrusive change.

    Whether this change makes it in or not, I'm looking forward to running
    5.22.2.

    Tom
  • Curtis Jewell at Mar 16, 2016 at 3:18 pm
    Chad, that would be e1ccd22, and it's on there under "Tickets Listed in
    #126920: 5.22.2 blockers", and steveh added a vote for it, but no one
    else has so far as of
    http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/blame/6997bf221ea4485c697421959b098b04790ef671:/votes-5.22.xml.

    -- Curtis

    --
    Curtis Jewell
    csjewell@cpan.org http://csjewell.dreamwidth.org/
    On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 02:21:35PM +0000, Steve Hay via perl5-porters
    Apologies for running a little late on this (given that it would be
    nice to get 5.22.2 out before 5.24.0 is released, if possible) but
    I've finally updated the voting file for 5.22.2:

    http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/commitdiff/f1d05e056b

    This is all the candidates that I would propose cherry-picking, as of
    the latest change currently in blead (389f4c1ef8).
    Please consider 9234e5 (your t/io/semctl.t fixes). This might not help
    many users (perhaps just me) but it's a small, non-intrusive change.

    Whether this change makes it in or not, I'm looking forward to running
    5.22.2.

    Tom
  • Steve Hay at Mar 17, 2016 at 8:36 am

    Apologies for running a little late on this (given that it would be
    nice to get 5.22.2 out before 5.24.0 is released, if possible) but
    I've finally updated the voting file for 5.22.2:

    http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/commitdiff/f1d05e056b

    This is all the candidates that I would propose cherry-picking, as of
    the latest change currently in blead (389f4c1ef8).
    Please consider 9234e5 (your t/io/semctl.t fixes). This might not help
    many users (perhaps just me) but it's a small, non-intrusive change.
    Thanks for the suggestion - now added to the voting file in commit
    3e7ad6809fa0a828098597a8706577011d61d5cd.
  • Achim Gratz at Mar 20, 2016 at 7:52 pm

    Steve Hay via perl5-porters writes:
    Otherwise I hope I've covered everything that is important (and kept
    less important changes to a minimum, for some definition of
    "minimum"), but please let me know if you spot anything that I've
    missed.
    Since GCC5 has moved into many distributions as the standard compiler,
    it would seem that

    http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/commitdiff/0632167

    should be cherry-picked to keep _FORTIFY_SOURCE defined.

    Regards,
    Achim.

  • Steve Hay at Mar 23, 2016 at 1:51 pm

    Otherwise I hope I've covered everything that is important (and kept
    less important changes to a minimum, for some definition of
    "minimum"), but please let me know if you spot anything that I've
    missed.
    Since GCC5 has moved into many distributions as the standard compiler,
    it would seem that

    http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/commitdiff/0632167

    should be cherry-picked to keep _FORTIFY_SOURCE defined.
    Thanks, now added to the voting file.
  • James E Keenan at Mar 25, 2016 at 12:32 pm

    Apologies for running a little late on this (given that it would be
    nice to get 5.22.2 out before 5.24.0 is released, if possible) but
    I've finally updated the voting file for 5.22.2:

    http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/commitdiff/f1d05e056b

    This is all the candidates that I would propose cherry-picking, as of
    the latest change currently in blead (389f4c1ef8).
    Can we backport this documentation correction?

    commit 1802421e7ca37d5f22605a97946d04b9b2375b43
          Add 's' and 'S' to list of ANSI C portable filename characters.

          For: RT #127783. Thanks to Jim Davis for report.

    Thank you very much.
  • Steve Hay at Mar 26, 2016 at 3:42 pm

    Apologies for running a little late on this (given that it would be
    nice to get 5.22.2 out before 5.24.0 is released, if possible) but
    I've finally updated the voting file for 5.22.2:

    http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/commitdiff/f1d05e056b

    This is all the candidates that I would propose cherry-picking, as of
    the latest change currently in blead (389f4c1ef8).
    Can we backport this documentation correction?

    commit 1802421e7ca37d5f22605a97946d04b9b2375b43
    Add 's' and 'S' to list of ANSI C portable filename characters.

    For: RT #127783. Thanks to Jim Davis for report.

    Thank you very much.
    Thanks, added to the voting file (with your vote).

groupperl5-porters @
categoriesperl
postedMar 15, '16 at 2:21p
activeMar 26, '16 at 3:42p