I have just created a branch called maint-5.20-votes containing the
file Porting/cherry-pick-votes-maint-5.20.xml, which will record votes
for proposed cherry-picks into maint-5.20 for the planned January
release of 5.20.2.

Please have a look at commits in your areas of expertise. If you are a
committer in favour of cherry-picking a certain commit then you can
record your vote in the obvious place in the XML file. (According to
perlpolicy.pod we need three votes from committers for a commit to be
cherry-picked.)

If you see any proposed commits that should not be cherry-picked, or
are aware of any commits that I have missed from the list, then please
speak up.

The file contains an embedded XSL stylesheet which makes it view
nicely in all major web browsers other than The Unmentionable One. In
particular, the commit IDs and RT ticket numbers are clickable links,
which hopefully makes it easier to go through them and see what each
one is.

I will start cherry-picking once enough votes are in, and I will keep
the list updated with any further suitable blead commits between now
and whenever I roll out RC1 in January.

The good news is that all the tickets listed in the 5.20.2 meta ticket
(#122913) are done, pending release. Thanks to everyone concerned for
this excellent state of affairs :-)

Search Discussions

  • Bulk88 at Dec 6, 2014 at 9:15 pm

    Steve Hay wrote:
[...]

    On http://hmbrand.home.xs4all.nl/overview-5202.html I see

    ----------------------------------
    (Note: #123339 is a prerequisite for #40565)
    steveh 64c909d3055a7d5436012fab51eb1c046088140a 123339 fix segv for
    psudofork duping of SAVEt_GP_ALIASED_SV
    ----------------------------------
    Where did "(Note: #123339 is a prerequisite for #40565)" come from?

    If you see
    http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/commit/64c909d3055a7d5436012fab51eb1c046088140a
    you will see that the commit message refers to
    http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/commit/ff2a62e0c8 which is a commit
    on Sept 19 2014 in blead. #123339 is a very similar bug I found in blead
    while investigating #40565, but I dont think (if I am reading
    http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/commit/ff2a62e0c8 correct) it could
    have existed in 5.20. #40565 has probably been around since day 1 of
    psuedo fork, atleast since 2006 (I dont feel like testing my Strawberry
    5.8 ATM). #123339 has been around since Sept 2014. The work up on
    #123339 was done in #40565's ticket since I thought it was another
    segving test case of the same bug due the SEGV callstack being nearly
    identical until I figured out the problem and then the fix patch (save
    stack type for #123339 is different from #40565's SS type)

    http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/commit/452466a503257b1012694b0d3a3cbf260e409d18
    is needed though since its the perldelta entry for #40565 fix.

    "Mathomise save_re_context"
    http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/commit/0ddd4a5b1910c8bfa9b7e55eb0db60a115fe368c
    Absolutely no. Mathoming removes the function call from export table
    (atleast on blead :p) on -DNO_MATHOMS builds so old XS modules compiled
    against old headers and old libperl.a wont load into the process due to
    missing symbol. Also according to P5P lore, changing the exported
    symbols breaks binary compatibility since supposedly on some platforms
    (16 bit Windows from 1985 cough cough) symbols are linked by numbers,
    not strings. Resorting the def file would break linking then.
  • Steve Hay at Dec 6, 2014 at 10:37 pm

[...]

    This is one of my notes in the original XML file. It was based on an
    exchange between you and Father C in which you initially said 'yes and no'
    to whether a proposed patch worked, and then FC asked whether it now worked
    after your patch to 123339 had been committed and you said yes:

    https://rt.perl.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=40565#txn-1321011

    However, I hadn't realized that the 123339 problem was blead-specific,
    given which I will of course drop it from the list. It's almost impossible
    to tell exactly what's applicable and what isn't by just reading commit
    logs and RT tickets. I tried to include everything that looked relevant
    since it's easier to cross things out later than to pick up things that
    I've missed, so there are bound to be some that turn out not to be relevant.
[...]

    Thank you for the spot. I will drop this change from the list too. (XS
    modules built against an old perl must indeed be able to load into a new
    perl in the same maint series. I think *that* is precisely what people most
    often mean when they speak of 'binary compatibility' in maint perl
    releases.)
  • H.Merijn Brand at Dec 8, 2014 at 2:06 pm

    I have just created a branch called maint-5.20-votes containing the
    file Porting/cherry-pick-votes-maint-5.20.xml, which will record votes
    for proposed cherry-picks into maint-5.20 for the planned January
    release of 5.20.2.
    Please also consider updating Encode to 2.67 in 5.20.2, as it is
    required to be able to get Tk running

    --
    H.Merijn Brand http://tux.nl Perl Monger http://amsterdam.pm.org/
    using perl5.00307 .. 5.21 porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE

    On Sat, 6 Dec 2014 15:20:47 +0000, Steve Hay