(Original email from Yaroslav is below the english translation)

I would like to talk about running smokes on z/OS.

To establish some background - I am fully aware how to run a smoke under
linux. I haven't figured all the details in my case, however. Here is
the list of missing prerequisites on z/OS :

      1. Neither `git` nor `svn` are available on z/OS

      2. By default z/OS does not come with UTF-EBCDIC support. Therefore
a UTF-8 <> UTF-EBCDIC translation utility is not supplied ( I have a
perl script which does one-way translation from UTF-8 to UTF-EBCDIC )

      3 My particular mainframe is set up such that it lacks the ability
to send email directly to the open internet.

Here are my thoughts on how one could set up a smoke environment on such
an isolated z/OS mainframe:

      1. FTP the entire project (checkiut/tarball) into a tempdir

      2. Run a UTF-8 >> UTF-EBCDIC conversion of all project files

      3. Compare the contents of the tempdir with the source and copy
everything that differs (n.b. copy direction is unclear)

      4. ./configure && make && make test

      5. Drop the result into a another directory

What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks!