FAQ
# New Ticket Created by James E Keenan
# Please include the string: [perl #122267]
# in the subject line of all future correspondence about this issue.
# <URL: https://rt.perl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=122267 >


[Originally filed on p5p newsgroup; transferring to RT]

I successfully built and tested Perl 5.20.0 on Darwin/PPC when it was released two months ago. I built and tested blead today for the first time since then. I was surprised to get a test failure in t/porting/libperl.c.

When I re-directed the test's STDOUT and STDERR to a file, I got a tremendous amount of "# Unexpected nm output" lines. For the full output, see the tarball attached.

Here is the short version of the output.
#####
$ cd t;./perl harness -v porting/libperl.t ; cd -# Failed test 2 - has text Perl_peep at porting/libperl.t line 196
# Failed test 3 - has text Perl_pp_uc in pp.o at porting/libperl.t line 197
# Failed test 4 - has data const symbols at porting/libperl.t line 198
# Failed test 5 - has PL_no_mem at porting/libperl.t line 199
# Failed test 6 - has PL_hash_seed at porting/libperl.t line 325
# Failed test 7 - has PL_ppaddr at porting/libperl.t line 326

ok 1 - has object pp.o
not ok 2 - has text Perl_peep
not ok 3 - has text Perl_pp_uc in pp.o
not ok 4 - has data const symbols
not ok 5 - has PL_no_mem
not ok 6 - has PL_hash_seed
not ok 7 - has PL_ppaddr
ok 8 - has no PL_VarsPtr
ok 9 - has no PL_Vars
ok 10 - has no Perl_GetVars
Failed 6/10 subtests

Test Summary Report
-------------------
porting/libperl.t (Wstat: 0 Tests: 10 Failed: 6)
   Failed tests: 2-7
Files=1, Tests=10, 3 wallclock secs ( 1.87 usr 0.12 sys + 0.22 cusr 0.07 csys = 2.28 CPU)
Result: FAIL
/Users/jimk/gitwork/perl
#####

I am not getting this failure on Linux x86_64. I have not yet tried this on Darwin x86_64.

Has anything happened lately that would have an impact on this?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

P.S.: See attachment for 'perl -V' for the machine that had the failure.

Search Discussions

  • James E Keenan via RT at Jul 11, 2014 at 12:43 am

    On Thu Jul 10 16:24:33 2014, jkeenan wrote:
    [Originally filed on p5p newsgroup; transferring to RT]

    I successfully built and tested Perl 5.20.0 on Darwin/PPC when it was
    released two months ago. I built and tested blead today for the first
    time since then. I was surprised to get a test failure in
    t/porting/libperl.c. [snip]
    Has anything happened lately that would have an impact on this?
    #####

    commit d92f47ae2e102edeaf8813a465c2e7a3886dc269
    Author: Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi@iki.fi>
    AuthorDate: Mon Jun 23 20:11:50 2014
    Commit: Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi@iki.fi>
    CommitDate: Wed Jun 25 12:43:01 2014

         Add t/porting/libperl.t

         For sanity checking libperl.a on those platforms that have one,
         and extra checking for the rare configurations of -DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT
         and -DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT_PRIVATE which restructure the symbol exports.

    #####

    So this is not only a new failure in t/porting/libperl.t; it is also the very *first* failure reported in this file, as it was only added by Jarkko on June 25.

    Jarkko has communicated to me that this is probably something trivial in the 'nm' output on PPC. He is travelling for a couple of weeks and will look at this upon his return.

    Not that that should prevent anyone else from looking at this problem!

    Thank you very much.
    Jim Keenan

    ---
    via perlbug: queue: perl5 status: new
    https://rt.perl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=122267
  • James E Keenan via RT at Jul 11, 2014 at 10:31 pm

    On Thu Jul 10 17:43:43 2014, jkeenan wrote:
    On Thu Jul 10 16:24:33 2014, jkeenan wrote: [snip]
    So this is not only a new failure in t/porting/libperl.t; it is also
    the very *first* failure reported in this file, as it was only added
    by Jarkko on June 25.

    Jarkko has communicated to me that this is probably something trivial
    in the 'nm' output on PPC. He is travelling for a couple of weeks and
    will look at this upon his return.

    Not that that should prevent anyone else from looking at this problem!
    This failure probably has an OS aspect and a platform aspect. Attached please find two files with the output of t/porting/libperl.t on Darwin x86_64. The file has failures on x86_64, albeit fewer than on the older PPC.

    Thank you very much.
    Jim Keenan

    ---
    via perlbug: queue: perl5 status: open
    https://rt.perl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=122267
  • George Greer at Jul 14, 2014 at 11:40 pm
  • Ricardo SIGNES via RT at Jul 12, 2014 at 9:23 pm
    Jim asked about marking this skipped on this platform until a fix is in. I think that's fine.

    --
    rjbs

    ---
    via perlbug: queue: perl5 status: open
    https://rt.perl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=122267
  • Karen Etheridge at Jul 12, 2014 at 9:28 pm

    On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 02:23:36PM -0700, Ricardo SIGNES via RT wrote:
    Jim asked about marking this skipped on this platform until a fix is in. I think that's fine.
    s/skipped/TODO/, for greater visibility?
  • Ricardo Signes at Jul 12, 2014 at 11:32 pm
    * Karen Etheridge [2014-07-12T17:28:02]
    On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 02:23:36PM -0700, Ricardo SIGNES via RT wrote:
    Jim asked about marking this skipped on this platform until a fix is in. I
    think that's fine.
    s/skipped/TODO/, for greater visibility?
    On most platforms, that would show up as "unexpected TODO pass," which is the
    wrong kind of visibility. If the TODO is platform-specific, I'm not sure this
    is really going to add any kind of visibility, is it?

    --
    rjbs
  • James E Keenan via RT at Jul 13, 2014 at 2:26 am

    On Sat Jul 12 14:23:35 2014, rjbs wrote:
    Jim asked about marking this skipped on this platform until a fix is
    in. I think that's fine.

    commit ed0e322ca1d56fd4f31e1f778f65732f9e1e7dbb
    Author: James E Keenan <jkeenan@cpan.org>
    Date: Sat Jul 12 22:16:23 2014 -0400

    skip_all on darwin until nm peculiarities can be straighted out.

    Assigning to jhi.

    ---
    via perlbug: queue: perl5 status: open
    https://rt.perl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=122267
  • James E Keenan via RT at Jul 20, 2014 at 2:36 am

    On Sat Jul 12 19:25:59 2014, jkeenan wrote:
    On Sat Jul 12 14:23:35 2014, rjbs wrote:
    Jim asked about marking this skipped on this platform until a fix is
    in. I think that's fine.

    commit ed0e322ca1d56fd4f31e1f778f65732f9e1e7dbb
    Author: James E Keenan <jkeenan@cpan.org>
    Date: Sat Jul 12 22:16:23 2014 -0400

    skip_all on darwin until nm peculiarities can be straighted out.

    Assigning to jhi.
    jhi put in a lot of time on this. I can now report that t/porting/libperl.t now PASSes on Darwin/PPC on blead:

    #####
    [perl] 513 $ ./perl -v |head -2 | tail -1
    This is perl 5, version 21, subversion 2 (v5.21.2 (v5.21.1-191-g41a81de)) built for darwin-2level
    [perl] 514 $ cd t;./perl harness porting/libperl.t; cd -
    porting/libperl.t .. ok
    All tests successful.
    Files=1, Tests=31, 0 wallclock secs ( 0.07 usr 0.02 sys + 0.31 cusr 0.06 csys = 0.46 CPU)
    Result: PASS
    #####

    There's probably nothing more to be done on this ticket. I'll double check on my Darwin/x86_64 machine on Monday, then close the ticket if there are no further problems.

    Thank you very much.
    Jim Keenan

    ---
    via perlbug: queue: perl5 status: open
    https://rt.perl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=122267
  • James E Keenan via RT at Jul 22, 2014 at 1:23 am

    On Sat Jul 19 19:35:58 2014, jkeenan wrote:


    There's probably nothing more to be done on this ticket. I'll double
    check on my Darwin/x86_64 machine on Monday, then close the ticket if
    there are no further problems.
    t/porting/libperl.t PASS on Darwin/x86_64 (Mac OS X 10.6 or so) today.

    Marking ticket resolved.

    Thank you very much.
    Jim Keenan


    ---
    via perlbug: queue: perl5 status: open
    https://rt.perl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=122267

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupperl5-porters @
categoriesperl
postedJul 10, '14 at 11:24p
activeJul 22, '14 at 1:23a
posts10
users4
websiteperl.org

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase