I noticed this morning that Debian has just begun the process of
switching from 5.10 to 5.12. Most of the discussion seems to be at
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=619117 .

They're aware that 5.14 is imminent, but decided to do the 5.12
transition first, then move on to 5.14.

Walt

Search Discussions

  • Walt Mankowski at May 5, 2011 at 3:07 am
    I noticed yesterday that Debian has just begun the process of
    switching from 5.10 to 5.12. Most of the discussion seems to be at
    http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=619117 .

    They're aware that 5.14 is imminent, but decided to do the 5.12
    transition first, then move on to 5.14.

    Walt
  • Tom Christiansen at May 5, 2011 at 3:15 am
    Walt Mankowski wrote
    on Wed, 04 May 2011 23:07:15 EDT:
    I noticed yesterday that Debian has just begun the process of
    switching from 5.10 to 5.12. Most of the discussion seems to be at
    http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=619117 .
    That's good. I hope it's 5.12.3.
    They're aware that 5.14 is imminent, but decided to do the 5.12
    transition first, then move on to 5.14.
    That seems perfectly reasonable. Skipping a generation is always
    riskier than going one step at a time.

    It's all these 5.8 people I worry about.

    --tom
  • Walt Mankowski at May 5, 2011 at 3:33 am

    I noticed yesterday that Debian has just begun the process of
    switching from 5.10 to 5.12. Most of the discussion seems to be at
    http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=619117 .
    That's good. I hope it's 5.12.3.
    It is.
    They're aware that 5.14 is imminent, but decided to do the 5.12
    transition first, then move on to 5.14.
    That seems perfectly reasonable. Skipping a generation is always
    riskier than going one step at a time.

    It's all these 5.8 people I worry about.
    I agree, and it seems, at least from the timing of some of the
    messages, that the imminent release of 5.14 may have encouraged the
    maintainers to get moving so they wouldn't fall 2 major releases
    behind.

    Walt
  • Jesse Vincent at May 5, 2011 at 3:44 am

    I agree, and it seems, at least from the timing of some of the
    messages, that the imminent release of 5.14 may have encouraged the
    maintainers to get moving so they wouldn't fall 2 major releases
    behind.
    I'm pleased to hear that my evil plan is working.
  • Richard Foley at May 5, 2011 at 5:51 am
    There's a plan...?

    Ciao

    Richard
    --
    Richard Foley
    Ciao - shorter than AufWiederSehen!

    I agree, and it seems, at least from the timing of some of the
    messages, that the imminent release of 5.14 may have encouraged the
    maintainers to get moving so they wouldn't fall 2 major releases
    behind.
    I'm pleased to hear that my evil plan is working.
  • Niko Tyni at May 5, 2011 at 7:01 am