On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 11:33:29PM -0400, Walt Mankowski wrote: On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 09:14:56PM -0600, Tom Christiansen wrote:
Walt Mankowski <email@example.com> wrote
on Wed, 04 May 2011 23:07:15 EDT:
They're aware that 5.14 is imminent, but decided to do the 5.12
transition first, then move on to 5.14.
That seems perfectly reasonable. Skipping a generation is always
riskier than going one step at a time.
It's all these 5.8 people I worry about.
I agree, and it seems, at least from the timing of some of the
messages, that the imminent release of 5.14 may have encouraged the
maintainers to get moving so they wouldn't fall 2 major releases
Yes, 5.12 couldn't quite make it into the freeze schedule of Debian
6.0 ("squeeze"), so we had to wait until February for the release. We
finally got the green light from the release team now to go ahead with
About 450 packages (XS modules and applications linking against libperl)
need to be rebuilt on 11 release architectures, so the build daemons
have been working hard lately.
We're also switching to -Duse64bitint on all architectures at this point,
as discussed a year or so ago on this list.
I hope we can get Perl 5.14 in before the next release, but it's going
to take a while to prepare. We need to do test rebuilds first and fix
(at least most of) any outstanding issues. For comparison, our tracker
lists a hundred or so bugs related to the 5.12 transition.
Thanks to everybody for the great work you're doing on Perl,
Niko Tyni firstname.lastname@example.org