In previous releases, Rafael synced the perlfaq with blead. The version
in RC1 is pretty old and refers to locations in svn.perl.org that are
now stale.

I brought this up awhile ago:

http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2009/03/msg145275.html

Nobody told me to do anything different than what I was already doing,
so the sources are still in my perlfaq repo on Github:

http://github.com/briandfoy/perlfaq/tree/master

You should be able to talk the perlfaq* files and drop them into perl's
source. If the new method is for me to make patches against perl, I can
do that too, I guess. It just hasn't been how we've done it before, and
I don't pay that close attention to p5p's schedule.

I have another set of changes to process, but it's not important that
they get into the next release. If I know a date which they might get
into the next release, I can clear out my perlfaq queue.

Search Discussions

  • Dave Mitchell at Aug 12, 2009 at 6:59 pm

    In previous releases, Rafael synced the perlfaq with blead. The version
    in RC1 is pretty old and refers to locations in svn.perl.org that are
    now stale.
    Rafael, are you in a potion to suck in these updates, or do I need to
    worry about it?

    --
    A major Starfleet emergency breaks out near the Enterprise, but
    fortunately some other ships in the area are able to deal with it to

    Dave Mitchell wrote:
    In previous releases, Rafael synced the perlfaq with blead. The version
    in RC1 is pretty old and refers to locations in svn.perl.org that are
    now stale.
    Rafael, are you in a potion to suck in these updates, or do I need to
    worry about it?
    Anything I can do about this to help?

    Cheers,
    Steffen
  • Steffen Mueller at Aug 13, 2009 at 12:21 pm
    Hi brian,

    brian d foy wrote:
[...]

    I guess kind of *right now*. I'm in the process of porting a few of the
    small changes that have been applied to bleadperl in the meantime to a
    github fork of your repository. When I'm done, I'll copy those merged
    files into bleadperl.

    In the long run, I wonder whether it might be worthwhile to move the faq
    maintenance back to the core repository. I doubt people would be very
    opposed to giving you commit access to that (and in github times you
    could always use your own fork and send pull requests occasionally).

    Cheers,
    Steffen
  • Steffen Mueller at Aug 13, 2009 at 12:23 pm
    Hi brian,

    brian d foy wrote:
    I'm currently looking at the perlfaq7 entry for "Can I haz switch". It
    has a large piece of code that's supposed to emulate a switch statement.
    I'm not convinced it's useful any more given that there's both a simple
    if-then-else and a give-when example right next to it.

    SWITCH: for (ref $whatchamacallit) {

    /^$/ && die "not a reference";

    /SCALAR/ && do {
    print_scalar($$ref);
    last SWITCH;
    };

    /ARRAY/ && do {
    print_array(@$ref);
    last SWITCH;
    };

    /HASH/ && do {
    print_hash(%$ref);
    last SWITCH;
    };

    /CODE/ && do {
    warn "can't print function ref";
    last SWITCH;
    };

    # DEFAULT

    warn "User defined type skipped";

    }

    (horrors)

    Cheers,
    Steffen
  • Brian d foy at Aug 13, 2009 at 12:59 pm