FAQ
The "PREFIX to INSTALL_BASE" thread reminded me of the difficulty I've
experienced trying to do what's described in this post:

http://use.perl.org/~Aristotle/journal/37756

That solution is "non-obvious," to say the least. (I certainly never found
it.) It would be nice if perl 5.12 (or whatever) had a single build/config
parameter that specified a single directory under which all files associated
with a particular installation of perl will be installed.

-John

Search Discussions

  • Andy Dougherty at Nov 6, 2008 at 8:55 pm

    On Thu, 6 Nov 2008, John Siracusa wrote:

    The "PREFIX to INSTALL_BASE" thread reminded me of the difficulty I've
    experienced trying to do what's described in this post:

    http://use.perl.org/~Aristotle/journal/37756

    That solution is "non-obvious," to say the least. (I certainly never found
    it.) It would be nice if perl 5.12 (or whatever) had a single build/config
    parameter that specified a single directory under which all files associated
    with a particular installation of perl will be installed.
    If all you want is "a single directory under which all files associated
    with a particular installation of perl will be installed", then $prefix is
    it. It's only if you want to simplify the hierarchy under $prefix that
    you have to do additional work. I don't recall anyone ever requesting that
    particular type of simplification, so that's probably why there's no
    single build/config parameter to implement it.

    (I also don't understand the no_version_inc complaint in the use.perl
    post. There could well be a bug there, but I haven't been able to
    reproduce it. I think I'd have to see a more complete example.)

    More generally, and more usefully, I have never understood people's
    extreme reluctance to run Configure interactively and answer the
    installation questions directly. Then, if you want to script it for
    future use, you can grep through config.sh to find what you ended up
    setting. Or, you could use a Policy.sh file to do the same thing, since
    that's especially geared towards handling custom installation directory
    structures.

    --
    Andy Dougherty doughera@lafayette.edu
  • Hv at Nov 12, 2008 at 11:09 pm
    Andy Dougherty wrote:
    :If all you want is "a single directory under which all files associated
    :with a particular installation of perl will be installed", then $prefix is
    :it.

    But see http://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=34768.

    Or did you just mean the files bundled with perl itself?

    Hugo
  • Andy Dougherty at Nov 13, 2008 at 1:07 pm

    On Wed, 12 Nov 2008, hv@crypt.org wrote:

    Andy Dougherty wrote:
    :If all you want is "a single directory under which all files associated
    :with a particular installation of perl will be installed", then $prefix is
    :it.

    But see http://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=34768.
    I don't recall ever hearing of that particular issue before. I haven't
    bothered to download the module or read anything carefully to see why the
    module author chose to use /usr/sbin rather than $prefix/sbin, but,
    obviously, there's nothing perl itself can do to prevent module authors
    from doing such things.
    Or did you just mean the files bundled with perl itself?
    I meant to include things that install files in the installation
    directories specified by perl itself. However, if there are additional
    installation variables that Configure could helpfully define, then a
    proposed patch to perl's INSTALL file describing such new variables would
    be a helpful way to get the ball rolling.

    --
    Andy Dougherty doughera@lafayette.edu
  • Andy Dougherty at Nov 13, 2008 at 3:35 pm

    On Thu, 13 Nov 2008, Andy Dougherty wrote:
    On Wed, 12 Nov 2008, hv@crypt.org wrote:

    But see http://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=34768.
    I meant to include things that install files in the installation
    directories specified by perl itself. However, if there are additional
    installation variables that Configure could helpfully define, then a
    proposed patch to perl's INSTALL file describing such new variables would
    be a helpful way to get the ball rolling.
    Which, on re-reading the bug report, is exactly what Hugo already
    suggested. Oops.

    --
    Andy Dougherty doughera@lafayette.edu

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupperl5-porters @
categoriesperl
postedNov 6, '08 at 1:31p
activeNov 13, '08 at 3:35p
posts5
users3
websiteperl.org

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase