He would often declare, in speaking his thoughts upon the subject,
that he did not conceive how the greatest family in England could
stand it out against an uninterrupted succession of six or seven
short noses.--And for the contrary reason, he would generally add,
That it must be one of the greatest problems in civil life, where
the same number of long and jolly noses, following one another in a
direct line, did not raise and hoist it up into the best vacancies
in the kingdom.
-- Laurence Sterne, The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy

Perl 5.10.0 is now out, the first in the 5.10.x major version series,
after a five year long development process. It's currently being
mirrored on CPAN.

A more formal announcement will follow via the usual canals.
I'm told a press release is also in the works.

I would like to thank everyone on perl5-porters for their efforts. I
hope we'll all be proud of what Perl is becoming. And ready to get back
to the keyboard for 5.12, for which, I hope, we'll not wait as long as
we waited for 5.10.

As a personal note, I can't wait to use 5.10 in production. All those
new features are quite exciting, aren't they?

Enjoy !

Search Discussions

  • Andy Armstrong at Dec 18, 2007 at 6:15 pm
    As a personal note, I can't wait to use 5.10 in production. All those
    new features are quite exciting, aren't they?

    Yes! :)

    Congratulations and thanks Rafael.

    --
    Andy Armstrong, Hexten
  • Nicholas Clark at Dec 18, 2007 at 6:15 pm

    Perl 5.10.0 is now out, the first in the 5.10.x major version series,
    after a five year long development process. It's currently being
    mirrored on CPAN.
    First post! A big thanks to Rafael for this.

    Get it faster than CPAN: http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3938859

    but check it carefully:

    17:42 <@rgs> file: $CPAN/authors/id/R/RG/RGARCIA/perl-5.10.0.tar.gz
    17:42 <@rgs> size: 15595020 bytes
    17:42 <@rgs> md5: d2c39b002ebfd2c3c5dba589365c5a71

    Nicholas Clark
  • Ismail Dönmez at Dec 18, 2007 at 6:25 pm

    Tuesday 18 December 2007 20:15:35 tarihinde Nicholas Clark şunları yazmıştı:
    Perl 5.10.0 is now out, the first in the 5.10.x major version series,
    after a five year long development process. It's currently being
    mirrored on CPAN.
    First post! A big thanks to Rafael for this.

    Get it faster than CPAN: http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3938859

    but check it carefully:

    17:42 <@rgs> file: $CPAN/authors/id/R/RG/RGARCIA/perl-5.10.0.tar.gz
    17:42 <@rgs> size: 15595020 bytes
    17:42 <@rgs> md5: d2c39b002ebfd2c3c5dba589365c5a71
    Mirrored @ http://cekirdek.pardus.org.tr/~ismail/dist/perl-5.10.0.tar.gz

    Regards,
    ismail

    --
    Never learn by your mistakes, if you do you may never dare to try again.
  • Juerd Waalboer at Dec 18, 2007 at 6:16 pm

    Rafael Garcia-Suarez skribis 2007-12-18 19:11 (+0100):
    As a personal note, I can't wait to use 5.10 in production. All those
    new features are quite exciting, aren't they?
    They sure are!

    Leon has set up a torrent for the final release too:
    http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/3938859/perl-5.10.0.tar.gz.3938859.TPB.torrent

    I'm seeding. Are you?
    --
    Met vriendelijke groet, Kind regards, Korajn salutojn,

    Juerd Waalboer: Perl hacker <#####@juerd.nl> <http://juerd.nl/sig>
    Convolution: ICT solutions and consultancy <sales@convolution.nl>
  • Andy Armstrong at Dec 18, 2007 at 6:20 pm
  • Ismail Dönmez at Dec 18, 2007 at 6:18 pm
    Tuesday 18 December 2007 20:11:46 tarihinde Rafael Garcia-Suarez şunları
    yazmıştı:
    Perl 5.10.0 is now out, the first in the 5.10.x major version series,
    after a five year long development process. It's currently being
    mirrored on CPAN.
    Congratulations to whole perl5-porters team and to you Rafael!

    --
    Never learn by your mistakes, if you do you may never dare to try again.
  • Jimc at Dec 18, 2007 at 7:49 pm

    Rafael Garcia-Suarez wrote:
    I would like to thank everyone on perl5-porters for their efforts. I
    hope we'll all be proud of what Perl is becoming. And ready to get back
    to the keyboard for 5.12, for which, I hope, we'll not wait as long as
    we waited for 5.10.

    As a personal note, I can't wait to use 5.10 in production. All those
    new features are quite exciting, aren't they?

    Enjoy !
    Its said that success has many fathers..
    This baby has hundreds,
    A team of dedicated and skilled doctors,
    and a happy (and exhausted) mother (its a big baby)

    (flogging the metaphor)
    Now the community of uncles will shower the baby with gifts.

    (and cuz I cant resist - a haiku)
    Slap, and the baby squeals
    rest briefly, bask in the glow
    and now back to work
  • Marcus Holland-Moritz at Dec 18, 2007 at 8:01 pm

[...]

    Definitely! :-)

    Marcus

    --
    The purpose of Physics 7A is to make the engineers realize that they're
    not perfect, and to make the rest of the people realize that they're not
    As a personal note, I can't wait to use 5.10 in production. All those
    new features are quite exciting, aren't they?
    And I'm so lucky to start a new job in Jannuary - we already decided
    to use 5.10 !

    Thanks to all involved parties for this great piece of software!

    --
    #!/usr/bin/perl http://domm.plix.at
  • Dave Mitchell at Dec 19, 2007 at 12:23 am

    Perl 5.10.0 is now out, the first in the 5.10.x major version series,
    after a five year long development process. It's currently being
    mirrored on CPAN.
    I understand the word of 2007 is woot. So...

    woot !

    --
    "The greatest achievement of the Austrians has been convincing the world
    that Hitler was German, and Mozart Austrian."
    Perl 5.10.0 is now out, the first in the 5.10.x major version series,
    after a five year long development process. It's currently being
    mirrored on CPAN.
    We made it at last. Thank you so much for midwiving this big baby
    for us. And happy 20th birthday, Perl!
    As a personal note, I can't wait to use 5.10 in production. All those
    new features are quite exciting, aren't they?
    Now I can literally say

    use v5.10.0;
    say "$^V is out!"

    Dan the Perl Monger
  • Alfie John at Dec 19, 2007 at 7:47 am

    I would like to thank everyone on perl5-porters for their efforts. I
    hope we'll all be proud of what Perl is becoming. And ready to get back
    to the keyboard for 5.12, for which, I hope, we'll not wait as long as
    we waited for 5.10.
    Well done and congratulations to the community!

    Alfie
  • Richard Foley at Dec 19, 2007 at 9:01 am

    Perl 5.10.0 is now out, the first in the 5.10.x major version series,
    after a five year long development process. It's currently being
    mirrored on CPAN.
    Yeehaa!

    :-)

    Well done, Rafael, everybody!

    --
    Richard Foley
    Ciao - shorter than aufwiedersehen

    http://www.rfi.net/
  • Richard Foley at Dec 19, 2007 at 5:10 pm

    Perl 5.10.0 is now out, the first in the 5.10.x major version series,
    after a five year long development process. It's currently being
    mirrored on CPAN.
    ps. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Perl Year!

    --
    Richard Foley
    Ciao - shorter than aufwiedersehen

    http://www.rfi.net/
  • Konovalov, Vadim Vladimirovich \(Vadim\)** CTR ** at Dec 19, 2007 at 9:14 am

    From: Rafael Garcia-Suarez
    Perl 5.10.0 is now out, the first in the 5.10.x major version series,
    after a five year long development process. It's currently being
    mirrored on CPAN.
    so much thanks!

    Let me also express additional gratitude to ActiveState for providing binaries that quick!

    This will certainly help us to start using new version at work right now!

    With much respect,
    Vadim.
  • Ask Bjoern Hansen at Dec 19, 2007 at 10:10 am

    Rafael Garcia-Suarez wrote:

    Perl 5.10.0 is now out, the first in the 5.10.x major version series,
    after a five year long development process. It's currently being
    mirrored on CPAN.
    Whee! So awesome. Thank you! Like many others I too am looking
    forward to getting this into production environments.
    A more formal announcement will follow via the usual canals.
    I'm told a press release is also in the works.
    I copied it to:

    http://dev.perl.org/perl5/news/2007/perl-5.10.0.html

    I added md5 and sha1 sums; please verify.

    While doing that I noticed that unlike previous releases we don't have a
    .bz2 for this one?

    - ask
  • Craig A. Berry at Dec 19, 2007 at 1:27 pm