Over the past month, I have attempted to contact Rob Brown, the
current maintainer of the Net::Ping to either include various bleadperl
updates to the module or to get co-maintainer rights to added so that
I could do it myself. Unfortunately, I have not gotten any response
from him.

In my first email, I sent the email directly to the email address listed
for him on CPAN. I did not receive any failure message and my email
logs show that the email was received without problems. Hearing no
response, I sent an additional email a week later. I also sent the
email to an additional email I found on Rob Brown's website <rob@roobik.com>.
I have also posted a patch of the accumulated bleadperl fixes to the
CPAN RT without any response <http://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=28348>.

Despite being a core module, Net::Ping has had no updates to the module
distributed through CPAN in over four years. This means that several
of the fixes distributed with bleadperl are not currently available to
users of earlier versions of Perl directly through CPAN. Also, the
CPAN RT queue has several bugs and, more importantly, bug fixes that
have not yet been applied that would benefit users of all Perl versions.

With this, I respecfully ask that I be granted co-maintainter rights to
Net::Ping in order to accomplish the tasks needed to get the module
moving forward again.

Thanks,

Steve Peters
steve@fisharerojo.org

Search Discussions

  • Steffen Mueller at Jul 30, 2007 at 7:00 pm
    Dear Rob, dear Steve,

    Steve Peters schrieb:
    Over the past month, I have attempted to contact Rob Brown, the
    current maintainer of the Net::Ping to either include various bleadperl
    updates to the module or to get co-maintainer rights to added so that
    I could do it myself. Unfortunately, I have not gotten any response
    from him. [...]
    With this, I respecfully ask that I be granted co-maintainter rights to
    Net::Ping in order to accomplish the tasks needed to get the module
    moving forward again.
    I have given Steve (SMPETERS) co-maintainer status for Net::Ping through
    PAUSE. Rob, if you ever read this: The intention is to have important
    bug fixes integrated into the module, not to take it from you. You are
    still listed as primary maintainer of the module.

    Best regards,
    Steffen

groupperl5-porters @
categoriesperl
postedJul 30, '07 at 1:24p
activeJul 30, '07 at 7:00p
websiteperl.org

2 users in discussion

Steffen Mueller: 1 post Steve Peters: 1 post