Is there a nice clear explanation somewhere of how perl internals use
the mark stack for passing and returning values to and from subs?

I'm rusty on it and want to be sure I'm doing the right thing in the
DBI dispatch code when it's calling callbacks.

I vaguely recall someone doing a nice diagram, but that might just be
wishful thinking on my part.

Tim.

Search Discussions

  • Gerard Goossen at Apr 26, 2007 at 4:11 pm

    Is there a nice clear explanation somewhere of how perl internals use
    the mark stack for passing and returning values to and from subs?

    I'm rusty on it and want to be sure I'm doing the right thing in the
    DBI dispatch code when it's calling callbacks.

    I vaguely recall someone doing a nice diagram, but that might just be
    wishful thinking on my part.
    http://gisle.aas.no/perl/illguts/

    I think you recalled that one, it has some nice diagrams :)

    Gerard Goossen
  • Tim Bunce at Apr 26, 2007 at 4:30 pm

    Is there a nice clear explanation somewhere of how perl internals use
    the mark stack for passing and returning values to and from subs?

    I'm rusty on it and want to be sure I'm doing the right thing in the
    DBI dispatch code when it's calling callbacks.

    I vaguely recall someone doing a nice diagram, but that might just be
    wishful thinking on my part.
    http://gisle.aas.no/perl/illguts/

    I think you recalled that one, it has some nice diagrams :)
    Ohh, yes. Very nice. The stacks section don't cover XS code specifically
    (e.g., the role of the ax variable) but it's a big help.

    Thanks!

    Tim.
  • Nicholas Clark at Apr 26, 2007 at 4:31 pm

    I think you recalled that one, it has some nice diagrams :)
    Ohh, yes. Very nice. The stacks section don't cover XS code specifically
    (e.g., the role of the ax variable) but it's a big help.
    I think that I've managed to make parts of it out of date. :-)
    The bits relating to the SV layout.

    Nicholas Clark
  • Tels at Apr 26, 2007 at 4:39 pm
    Moin,