I hope this is an appropriate list for this question. I've searched for
answers to this question and haven't found much info.

I've compiled Perl 5.8.8 on Win 98 under MinGW, but haven't tried
installing it because of the numerous failed tests. My results are
somewhat comparable to what Greg Matheson reported in this (somewhat
old) message:
http://www.mail-archive.com/perl5-porters@perl.org/msg69829.html

The above message was in regard to errors caused by Encode ( in Perl
5.8.1). This particular problem has apparently been fixed..

Anyway, the summary line for his 5.8.1 compile was:
Failed 68/803 test scripts, 91.53% okay. 1143/71344 subtests failed,
98.40% okay.

and mine was:
Failed 83/988 test scripts, 91.60% okay. 5636/116817 subtests failed,
95.18% okay.

I noticed that many of the same tests failed in both cases but a few
showed up on his and not on mine as well as vice-versa.

So my question is, is something like this valid to install on Win98 with
such a failure rate?

Additionally - I haven't tried ActiveStatePerl - but does it fare better
in the tests than a compile like what I did?

I thought it best to ask before installing either and then have to deal
with getting rid of the stuff if it was not workable.

Thanks for any help or suggestions anyone can provide.

Search Discussions

  • Dominic Dunlop at May 3, 2006 at 3:47 pm