# New Ticket Created by root@mail.uadec.mx
# Please include the string: [perl #37620]

This is a bug report for perl from baoengb@yahoo.com.mx
generated with the help of perlbug 1.35 running under perl v5.8.7.

[Please enter your report here]

It looks that this bug report is similar to 37526
But I would like to deswcribe mine problem, I'm using OWM
(OpenWebMail) for the web mail service at the university I work at.
trying to login to mya mail account in the server the only thing I get
is the following error:

Software error:
panic: sv_setpvn called with negative strlen at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.7/Tie/Hash.pm line 221.

For help, please send mail to the webmaster (root@mail.uadec.mx), giving this error message
===
So, due the critical of the perl script that is used in the OWM interface
I categorize it as critical, at least from the Denial of Service it is
producing to me.

[Please do not change anything below this line]
---
Flags:
category=core
severity=critical
---
Site configuration information for perl v5.8.7:

Configured by root at Thu Jun 30 11:15:34 CDT 2005.

Summary of my perl5 (revision 5 version 8 subversion 7) configuration:
Platform:
osname=netbsd, osvers=2.0, archname=i386-netbsd
uname='netbsd mail.uadec.mx 2.0 netbsd 2.0 (mail) #0: mon mar 14 15:12:07 cst 2005 root@mail:usrsrcsysarchi386compilemail i386 '
config_args='-de'
usethreads=undef use5005threads=undef useithreads=undef usemultiplicity=undef
useperlio=define d_sfio=undef uselargefiles=define usesocks=undef
use64bitint=undef use64bitall=undef uselongdouble=undef
usemymalloc=y, bincompat5005=undef
Compiler:
cc='cc', ccflags ='-fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -I/usr/pkg/include',
optimize='-O',
cppflags='-fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -I/usr/pkg/include'
ccversion='', gccversion='3.3.3 (NetBSD nb3 20040520)', gccosandvers=''
intsize=4, longsize=4, ptrsize=4, doublesize=8, byteorder=1234
d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=12
ivtype='long', ivsize=4, nvtype='double', nvsize=8, Off_t='off_t', lseeksize=8
alignbytes=4, prototype=define
Linker and Libraries:
ld='cc', ldflags =' -Wl,-rpath,/usr/pkg/lib -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/lib -L/usr/pkg/lib'
libpth=/usr/pkg/lib /lib /usr/lib
libs=-lm -lcrypt -lutil -lc -lposix
perllibs=-lm -lcrypt -lutil -lc -lposix
libc=/lib/libc.so, so=so, useshrplib=false, libperl=libperl.a
gnulibc_version=''
Dynamic Linking:
dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=so, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags='-Wl,-E '
cccdlflags='-DPIC -fPIC ', lddlflags='--whole-archive -shared -L/usr/pkg/lib'

Locally applied patches:

---
@INC for perl v5.8.7:
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.7/i386-netbsd
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.7
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7/i386-netbsd
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl
.

---
Environment for perl v5.8.7:
HOME=/root
LANG (unset)
LANGUAGE (unset)
LD_LIBRARY_PATH (unset)
LOGDIR (unset)
PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/pkg/sbin:/usr/pkg/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin
PERL_BADLANG (unset)
SHELL=/bin/csh

Search Discussions

  • Steve Peters via RT at Nov 9, 2005 at 12:12 pm

    [root@mail.uadec.mx - Sat Nov 05 20:41:10 2005]:

[...]

    Do you have some example code demonstrating the problem? Without some
    Perl code to test with, its very difficult to guess at what the problem
    could be.
  • Enrique Garcia Briones at Nov 16, 2005 at 9:26 pm

    Software error:
    panic: sv_setpvn called with negative strlen at
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.7/Tie/Hash.pm line 221.

    For help, please send mail to the webmaster (root@mail.uadec.mx),
    giving this error message
    ===
    So, due the critical of the perl script that is used in the OWM
    interface
    I categorize it as critical, at least from the Denial of Service it is
    producing to me.
    Do you have some example code demonstrating the problem? Without
    some Perl code to test with, its very difficult to guess at what the
    problem could be.
    Hi,

    I have no code for reproducing the error, nevertheless I figure it out that
    this is not a perl bug, I test the application in perl that showed the error
    and it looks that is application code corruption.

groupperl5-porters @
categoriesperl
postedNov 6, '05 at 4:41a
activeNov 16, '05 at 9:26p