I've done several tries on compiling perl 5.8.2 on win xp (btw: use dmake and
ming - much easier than using vs).

If you do compile multiple times from the same source (even with "make clean"
in between) it hangs on every copy of the module's .pm-files: "overwrite
yes/no/always".
"always" gets you nowhere, as these are single file copy commands - so you'd
have to acknowledge every one.

I'd suggest that you either
- set COPYCMD=/Y in the Makefile(s),
- or at least tell to set that in the README.win32.

Regards,

P.Marek

Search Discussions

  • Nick Ing-Simmons at Nov 14, 2003 at 12:52 pm

    P.Marek writes:
    I've done several tries on compiling perl 5.8.2 on win xp (btw: use dmake and
    ming - much easier than using vs).

    If you do compile multiple times from the same source (even with "make clean"
    in between) it hangs on every copy of the module's .pm-files: "overwrite
    yes/no/always".
    Make clean doesn't clean as much as it should. I wrote win32/distclean.bat
    to delete anything not in the MANIFEST file.
    "always" gets you nowhere, as these are single file copy commands - so you'd
    have to acknowledge every one.

    I'd suggest that you either
    - set COPYCMD=/Y in the Makefile(s),
    - or at least tell to set that in the README.win32.
    Thanks. Most folk here are Win32 ignorant - so I for one did not know
    that you could do that 'set'.

    Makefiles work(ed) without prompting on WinNT's cmd.exe - but of course
    Win2k/WinXP seem to have changed things.

    Regards,

    P.Marek
  • Orton, Yves at Nov 14, 2003 at 1:06 pm

    Makefiles work(ed) without prompting on WinNT's cmd.exe - but
    of course
    Win2k/WinXP seem to have changed things.
    I believe the dmake and nmake makefiles are out of synch in this regard.

    IIRC a patch was made to the nmake version that resolved this.

    Yves
  • H.Merijn Brand at Nov 14, 2003 at 1:16 pm

    I've done several tries on compiling perl 5.8.2 on win xp (btw: use dmake and
    ming - much easier than using vs).

    If you do compile multiple times from the same source (even with "make clean"
    in between) it hangs on every copy of the module's .pm-files: "overwrite
    yes/no/always".
    "always" gets you nowhere, as these are single file copy commands - so you'd
    have to acknowledge every one.

    I'd suggest that you either
    - set COPYCMD=/Y in the Makefile(s),
    - or at least tell to set that in the README.win32.
    As I see that Nick agreed, patch welcome ;)
    Regards,

    P.Marek
    --
    H.Merijn Brand Amsterdam Perl Mongers (http://amsterdam.pm.org/)
    using perl-5.6.1, 5.8.0, & 5.9.x, and 806 on HP-UX 10.20 & 11.00, 11i,

groupperl5-porters @
categoriesperl
postedNov 14, '03 at 9:31a
activeNov 14, '03 at 1:16p