I am unable to compile 5.8.0 on two AIX servers with different
OS versions. On both systems I can successfully compile 5.005_03

The same 5.8.0 tar bundle compiles successfully on Solaris 8 with GNU.

It seems highly improbable that nobody else has encountered these AIX
errors with 5.8.0. Is there another mailing list for posting AIX issues?
Should I try perlbug@perl.com ?

Test system 1
-------------
AIX 4.3.3 ML10
vac.C 4.4.0.3 A C for AIX Compiler

Test system 2
-------------
AIX 5.1.0.0
vac.C 5.0.2.5 A C for AIX Compiler

Error message is identical on both servers:

AIX 4.3.3 ML10

cc -o miniperl -brtl -L/usr/local/lib -b32
`echo gv.o toke.o perly.o op.o regcomp.o dump.o
util.o mg.o reentr.o hv.o av.o run.o pp_hot.o sv.o
pp.o scope.o pp_ctl.o pp_sys.o doop.o doio.o regexec.o
utf8.o taint.o deb.o universal.o xsutils.o globals.o
perlio.o perlapi.o numeric.o locale.o pp_pack.o pp_sort.o
sed 's/ op.o / /'` miniperlmain.o opmini.o perl.o
-lbind -lnsl -ldl -lld -lm -lc -lcrypt -lbsd -lPW

ld: 0711-715 ERROR: File perlio.o cannot be processed.
The file must be an object file, an import file, or an archive.

AIX 5.1.0.0

cc -o miniperl -brtl -b32
`echo gv.o toke.o perly.o op.o regcomp.o dump.o
util.o mg.o reentr.o hv.o av.o run.o pp_hot.o sv.o
pp.o scope.o pp_ctl.o pp_sys.o doop.o doio.o regexec.o
utf8.o taint.o deb.o universal.o xsutils.o globals.o
perlio.o perlapi.o numeric.o locale.o pp_pack.o pp_sort.o
sed 's/ op.o / /'` miniperlmain.o opmini.o perl.o
-lbind -lnsl -ldl -lld -lm -lc -lcrypt -lbsd -lPW

ld: 0711-715 ERROR: File perlio.o cannot be processed.
The file must be an object file, an import file, or an archive.

  • Nicholas Clark at Dec 18, 2002 at 6:57 pm