I am giving my first Perl talk to Sydney.pm in a week or so and would
like to start it with an introduction to the lighter side of Perl
culture.

I started by trying to identify the categories. Here is what I have
come up with so far. Being a Perl late-comer, I am not certain of
the accuracy of what follows. Corrections and additions welcome.
Some of this info. was got from history.perl.org, some from various
emails to perl mailing lists.

1) JAPH R.Schwartz (1988).
2) .sig in Perl A natural extension of JAPHs.
3) Perl Poetry L.Wall (1990).
4) Haiku Popularized by D.Conway(1998) in Coy module,
but were they popular before this?
5) Perl Golf L.Wall/R.Schwartz(1990) -- the playing. For example
in this post Larry plays golf with himself but
mentions Randal so I assume he also played around
this time:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=1991Apr29.072206.5621%40jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov
G.Bacon(1999) -- coined the term
6) Obfus Derived from JAPHS (?) Who did the first one?
7) Joke Modules sh2perl (R.Schwartz,1998)
Semi::semicolons (M.Schwern,1999)
Acme namespace (D.Conway,2001 via Acme::Bleach)
use less (Perl core -- who is responsible?)
I heard rumours that sh2perl goes back to 1990 with
a version that would email the shell script to
tchrist and ask him to write a Perl version.
I.Phillipps did a similar trick with a Perl
program/function generator around 1990 that
sent a request to Perl newsgroup.
8) Sayings/Quotes Many from L.Wall from C source code comments etc.
Two interesting recent ones:
"use strict is gay" (BK,P.Cawley,D.Cross,R.Clamp)
"schwern is my bitch" (Belfast.pm (?))
I know history of the former but what does it mean:
"schwern is my bitch" ??
9) April Fools 1990: "Black Perl" -- L.Wall
1998: sh2perl -- R.Schwartz
1999: Semi::semicolons -- M.Schwern
1999: "Java Mongers" -- ??
2001: parrot -- S.Cozens
2001: Acme::Buffy -- L.Brocard

/-\

http://careers.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Careers
- 1,000's of jobs waiting online for you!

Search Discussions

  • Dave Cross at Nov 3, 2002 at 3:30 pm

    I am giving my first Perl talk to Sydney.pm in a week or so and would
    like to start it with an introduction to the lighter side of Perl
    culture.
    Excellent idea.
    I started by trying to identify the categories. Here is what I have
    come up with so far. Being a Perl late-comer, I am not certain of
    the accuracy of what follows. Corrections and additions welcome.
    Some of this info. was got from history.perl.org, some from various
    emails to perl mailing lists.

    7) Joke Modules sh2perl (R.Schwartz,1998)
    Semi::semicolons (M.Schwern,1999)
    From, I believe, an original idea by David Adler.
    Acme namespace (D.Conway,2001 via Acme::Bleach)
    IIRC, when Damian first demonstrated the module to London.pm in Feb 2001,
    it was just called "Bleach". The Acme:: namespace followed soon after.
    8) Sayings/Quotes Many from L.Wall from C source code comments etc.
    Two interesting recent ones:
    "use strict is gay" (BK,P.Cawley,D.Cross,R.Clamp)
    The original discussion that lead to this meme has long been removed from
    the message board, but the Wayback Machine sees all:

    <http://web.archive.org/web/20010714061728/http://www.cookwood.com/cgi-bin/lcastro/perlbbs.pl?read=4700>
    "schwern is my bitch" (Belfast.pm (?))
    I know history of the former but what does it mean:
    "schwern is my bitch" ??
    This is just a mutution of the "Perl is my bitch" meme that infected london.pm
    in the summer of 2000. There was discussion of printing t-shirts with that
    slogan for the first YAPC::Europe, and of the appropriateness (or otherwise)
    of YAS being associated with the slogan. When the shirts finally appeared
    at the end of 2000, they had been printed privately.

    When the Damian sponsorship idea was first widely discussed (at YAPC::Europe,
    London, Sept 2000), there was some talk of printing "Damian is my bitch"
    t-shirts to raise the money. This never happened, but during 2001, Schwern spent
    some time working for Blackstar in Belfast (partly in response to their large
    donation to the Damian fund). The combination of all these factors lead to
    the "Schwern is my bitch" shirts appearing at YAPC::Europe 2001 in Amsterdam.
    9) April Fools 1990: "Black Perl" -- L.Wall
    1998: sh2perl -- R.Schwartz
    1999: Semi::semicolons -- M.Schwern
    1999: "Java Mongers" -- ??
    I thought there was still a version of this hidden on the pm.org web site,
    but I can't find it.
    2001: parrot -- S.Cozens
    2001: Acme::Buffy -- L.Brocard
    hth,

    Dave...

    --
    ...she opened strange doors that we'd never close again
  • Greg McCarroll at Nov 3, 2002 at 3:45 pm
    This is just a mutution of the "Perl is my bitch" meme that infected
    london.pm in the summer of 2000. There was discussion of printing
    t-shirts with that slogan for the first YAPC::Europe, and of the
    appropriateness (or otherwise) of YAS being associated with the
    slogan. When the shirts finally appeared at the end of 2000, they had
    been printed privately.
    As this is packrats and i must assume this will be recorded, hence I'd
    like to pedantically correct the above.

    YAPC::Europe never intended to print the t-shirts for the conference,
    a party who I shall not name was already going to print the t-shirts
    and offered to donate the profits to YAPC::Europe. This fragile
    (although some will disagree) connection lead to all sorts of
    ``discussion''.

    When the Damian sponsorship idea was first widely discussed (at YAPC::Europe,
    London, Sept 2000), there was some talk of printing "Damian is my bitch"
    t-shirts to raise the mon ey. This never happened, but during 2001, Schwern spent
    some time working for Blackstar in Belfast (partly in response to their large
    donation to the Damian fund). The combination of all these factors lead to
    the "Schwern is my bitch" shirts appearing at YAPC::Europe 2001 in Amsterdam.
    They were unveiled en masse when the Belfast.pm contingent took front
    row seats in Schwern's talk and then proceeded to remove their
    jumpers/coats/shirts whatever to reveal the SimB t-shirts during his
    talk.

    At the auction Schwern signed a couple of them, hence making them in
    his own words ``legally binding'' ;-).

    Greg

    --
    Greg McCarroll http://www.mccarroll.org.uk/~gem/