I am interested to learn more about this incident.
What this really the catalyst for the current Perl 6 development?
How many mugs were broken?
Were they coffee mugs or coffee cups?
What colour were they?
Did anyone keep some broken cups for later display in musuem?
Did anyone photograph the incident or broken cups?

/-\ndrew

Search Discussions

  • Elaine -HFB- Ashton at Jul 29, 2002 at 6:04 am
    Andrew.Savige@ir.com [Andrew.Savige@ir.com] quoth:
    *>I am interested to learn more about this incident.
    *>What this really the catalyst for the current Perl 6 development?

    Well...calling it a catalyst may be too dramatic a word. The meeting was
    originally a gathering of Chip Salzenberg, Jarkko Hietaniemi, myself, Tim
    Bunce, Sarathy, Nick Ing-Simmons, Larry Wall, Nat Torkington, brian d foy
    and Adam Turoff, brougt together to draft a constitution of sorts since
    the community seemed to be fragmenting. Jon showed up to the meeting late
    and found us talking about the community and started throwing things to
    express his discontent with how perl itself was stagnating, possibly even
    dying, and that we should be talking about reviving Perl. The cup incident
    was planned theatre from what I was told later. So, it was already a fait
    accompli but the tantrum was it's outing.

    *>How many mugs were broken?

    only one. 5 were thrown but they were tough :)

    *>Were they coffee mugs or coffee cups?

    Coffee mugs. Standard hotel issue.

    *>What colour were they?

    White.

    *>Did anyone keep some broken cups for later display in musuem?

    No :)

    *>Did anyone photograph the incident or broken cups?

    No :) Thank goodness as I'd hate to have a photo of me diving under the
    table.

    http://www.spidereyeballs.com/os5/set1/small_os5_r06_9705.html is about as
    close to a photo of this as you'll find :)

    e.
  • David H. Adler at Jul 29, 2002 at 5:42 pm

    *>I am interested to learn more about this incident.
    *>What this really the catalyst for the current Perl 6 development?

    Well...calling it a catalyst may be too dramatic a word. The meeting was
    originally a gathering of Chip Salzenberg, Jarkko Hietaniemi, myself, Tim
    Bunce, Sarathy, Nick Ing-Simmons, Larry Wall, Nat Torkington, brian d foy
    and Adam Turoff, brougt together to draft a constitution of sorts since
    the community seemed to be fragmenting.
    Schwern was also at a meeting that day, where he became Kwalatee
    Ashurrance pumpking. Was that a follow up meeting, or the Mug Meeting?

    dha, picking at nits (what a shock!)

    --
    David H. Adler - <dha@panix.com> - http://www.panix.com/~dha/
    Don't you remember High School? I know, for myself, I was a walking
    *>Schwern was also at a meeting that day, where he became Kwalatee
    *>Ashurrance pumpking. Was that a follow up meeting, or the Mug Meeting?
    *>
    *>dha, picking at nits (what a shock!)

    Schwern was not at that meeting as if he had been, I would have listed him
    :) He was at the later P5P meeting which is where he became the QA guy.

    e.
  • David H. Adler at Jul 29, 2002 at 7:41 pm