Hello, I'm writing a module to interface with an application called IPsonar.
IPsonar is written by a company called Lumeta and is a tool used to tell middle-large organizations things that they didn't know about their network.

I work at Lumeta but this is a personal project rather than being company sponsored (I enjoy perl and while our developers do too, they've got too much on their plate to put together a module for CPAN).

My initial thought was that I would name the module "IPsonar-<version>", but in looking at the namespace registration form it looks like new root namespaces are discouraged.

I've looked through the existing modules and I didn't see an existing namespace that looked really appropriate. It looked like there were a few application-specific root names, but I'm not sure if that reflect current best practice.

Obviously (based on my asking what's probably a dumb question) I'm new to all things PAUSE, would someone be able to comment on whether my module name would be appropriate or if there's a better place for it.

Thanks, George Budd

[I apologize if this is a duplicate, I tried to send a message earlier but as nearly as I can tell it didn't actually leave my machine].

Search Discussions

  • Brian d foy at Nov 19, 2011 at 2:54 am

    In article <5AD28FA5-56CC-4CED-B9C0-8452197FD68D@ironkeyboard.com>,
    George Budd wrote:

    My initial thought was that I would name the module "IPsonar-<version>", but
    in looking at the namespace registration form it looks like new root
    namespaces are discouraged.
    They are discouraged mainly in general use cases where the module would
    fit naturally into some exisiting classification. Since you are
    targeting a specific project, I think a new top-level namespace is
    fine. IPsonar is probably the best name.

    Good luck, :)

    PAUSE instructions: http://pause.perl.org/pause/query?ACTION=pause_04about