I'm including modules@perl.org because Robert Brown has more or less
disappeared.  I've sent messages to two of his emails, called the
phone number listed for his whois, and called the phone number that is
listed for his business.  One of the emails (rob@roobik.com) bounced
saying that the directory the mail is stored in is full.  The other
one (bbb@cpan.org) never replied.  The first phone number was an ISP
and couldn't help me, and the second was disconnected.  If anyone
knows how to get in touch with Rob *please* let me know.

---------------------------------------SNIP----------------------------------------------------------------

Hey fellas,

So you may or may not have noticed that File::NFSLock doesn't work at
all in windows.  There are two reasons for this:

1) pids in windows are negative numbers due to them actually being threads
2) your tests use fork which windows perl doesn't fully support

The first is easy to fix, and there's even a patch on RT to take care
of it: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=40185

The second is trickier, and (I think) stems from the fact that windows
perl emulates forks with threads, so memory is not shared.  What I
think you should do is just skip tests 200, 220, and 300 in windows.
I'd gladly furnish you with a patch for this if you would be willing
to release it.

I also got started on a renovation of the code to use some more modern
features (lexical filehandles and our, for example) with the hopes
that that would solve some of the problems.  I think it may have, but
often people aren't willing to force their users to upgrade to 5.6, so
I'll give you that code if you are interested, but I am not sure that
you are.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Search Discussions

  • fREW Schmidt at Jul 12, 2011 at 8:33 pm
    Also, I have all my patches available at
    https://github.com/frioux/File-NFSLock
    (git://github.com/frioux/File-NFSLock.git) I've found someone who can
    help me get the tests to actually pass, but given the fact that this
    module actually works (using the example provided in the repo) I was
    hoping we might be able to get it released so I can use it :-)
  • Rob Brown at Jul 13, 2011 at 3:36 pm
    Schmidt,

    I was out of the country when you emailed me on June 20th, but I did
    review your patches. Thank you for taking the time to help make
    improvements. And thank you for your time to follow up. I apologize
    for not responding earlier, but I want to assure you that I haven't
    completely dropped off the face of the earth.

    Mainly, I didn't immediately apply the patch because I already assumed
    it didn't work on Windows. It is based on hard linking files after
    all. And hard links just don't exist on NTFS or FAT32, right? But are
    you saying that File::NFSLock actually functions on some flavor of
    Windows with your patch? Is that because the NFS mount could be UNIX
    on the actual host and so hard links actually could still work?

    I'm just having a hard time fathoming this. But if it's true, I will
    have a new version released to CPAN today or tomorrow.

    Thanks again!

    -- Rob Brown

    --
    fREW Schmidt