Dear co-admins,

I just lost the entire modules@ backlog of mail because thunderbird
decided to break my nntp subscription. Curiously, it doesn't even want
to re-download the messages before today if I unsubscribe and
resubscribe. This is a problem for me specifically for dealing with the
important requests to take over modules.

But let me use this as a trigger for a more general discussion. For a
long time now, mostly brian and myself have been trying to handle the
module registration requests. Lately, we have fallen behind by *a lot*.
My general workload has increased and I find less and less time for the
registrations.

Personally, I haven't kept doing the registrations because of the
modules list but because the semi-official status is an incentive for
newcomers to get advice from us on the namespace choice. Unfortunately,
I feel that we can't currently provide ample support and this, in my
opinion, makes the registration procedure worthless -- even harmful
because newcomers get a bad first impression.

Somewhen, Andreas suggested having a sort of auto-registration for new
uploads so that authors can fill in meta information (which would be
important for a tentative future "orphaned" flag, for example). If I had
a clue abuot PAUSE and hadn't had my hands full of registration and
take-over work, I would have had a shot at something like that. I
suppose everyone else is too busy with the day-to-day business to spend
time to improve the workflow as well. This won't work going forward!

Therefore, spare time or none, I suggest we cooperate in discussion and
implementation of a system that provides the authors with facilities to
edit their modules' meta data, encourages discussion on module-authors@,
directs administrative issues to modules@, and potentially, finally
retires the modules list. If we don't do this, module registrations
will eventually run into nirvana and I don't think we can afford to
greet newcomers in this way.

Best regards,
Steffen

Search Discussions

  • Brian d foy at Sep 17, 2009 at 2:49 am
    In article <20090916145425.5741.qmail@lists.develooper.com>, Steffen
    But let me use this as a trigger for a more general discussion. For a
    long time now, mostly brian and myself have been trying to handle the
    module registration requests. Lately, we have fallen behind by *a lot*.
    I had an interruption in newsgroup access for various reasons, but
    I'll try to keep up. Otherwise, I basically agree with everything you
    said.

    --
    brian d foy <brian.d.foy@gmail.com>

groupmodules @
categoriesperl
postedSep 16, '09 at 2:54p
activeSep 17, '09 at 2:49a
websitecpan.org...

2 users in discussion

Brian d foy: 1 post Steffen Mueller: 1 post