Hi to all, Matt, thank you for approving the request! I'm going to release Perl implementation for Google's protocol buffers under name Google::ProtoBuf, and if you have objections or better names - it's not too late.Currently, I'm working on documentation (pod is attached), 540-tests suite says ok and I'm going to release in the beginning of the week. There are 2 more or less similar projects - Protobuf-PerlXS, http://code.google.com/p/protobuf-perlxs/, Project is ready, no CPAN distribution and name conflict is expected, because this project makes XS wrappers for C++ user-named classes (C++ code of the classes is generated by Google's IDL translator, protoc). Protobuf-Perl, http://code.google.com/p/protobuf-perl/Project is in alpha stage, no CPAN distribution is expected as it's going to be code generator for the official Google's IDL translator.The namespace used internally is 'Protobuf'. If you have suggestions/opinions, please share! (I'm going offline till Monday, so I wouldn't answer immediately, sorry). Have a good day, regards,Igor Gariev. > Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 15:53:24 +0100> From: mst@shadowcat.co.uk> To: gariev@hotmail.com> Subject: Welcome to PAUSE! - also pointers to the protobuf-perl project> > Welcome to PAUSE! Please before you upload think carefully about the namespace> for your new module - the name is often how people will discover and remember> it and CPAN already has a common system of namespaces that people will use.> > If you aren't sure, please drop a mail to modules@perl.org and we'd be happy> to talk it over with you.> > Also, the people already working on getting perl onto the google app engine> have got much of the protobuf work done - see> > http://code.google.com/p/protobuf-perl/> > for source and what still needs doing; Brad of LiveJournal fame is the main> guy at google driving this stuff and #appengine on irc.perl.org has a fair> few of the interested people - see also> > http://perl-appengine.googlecode.com/> > -- > Matt S Trout Need help with your Catalyst or DBIx::Class project?> Technical Director http://www.shadowcat.co.uk/catalyst/> Shadowcat Systems Ltd. Want a managed development or deployment platform?> http://chainsawblues.vox.com/ http://www.shadowcat.co.uk/servers/
http://www.live.com/getstarted.aspx

Search Discussions

  • Brian d foy at Oct 20, 2008 at 3:01 pm

    In article <BLU109-W254F1905259ED5B3CA9111C12D0@phx.gbl>, Igor Gariev
    wrote:
    --_520c744a-0c23-4b52-a359-64b3722b5cc7_

    Hi to all, Matt, thank you for approving the request! I'm going to release
    Perl implementation for Google's protocol buffers under name
    Google::ProtoBuf, and if you have objections or better names - it's not too
    late.
    I tend to like full words, like Google::ProtocolBuffer, so there's no
    ambiguity in what the Proto or Buf might mean. :)