The question in my mind is the namespace. I'd like your
advice before I release them. I had a chat with Andreas
Koenig whom I know from my older Perl Porters days and
he suggested I send the information to you.

The packages in question are ones for doing a fairly
sophisticated logging and fault management system. The
Logger works via a delegate class to put logs and
faults just about anywhere. stdout, syslog, a local mysql
database or a mysql database via web cgi scripts on a
remote machine which meets some simple criteria. The
LoggerDelegate 'protocol' is quite simple so it is easy
to write your own special purpose ones. What is special
about this package is that it is not just a static logger,
but intended for raising and clearing fault messages in
a remote database. I have been using it for critical
system management.

Now the namespace issue. For convenience I have heretofor
kept things in DMA (my initials). Thus this package is in
DMA::Logger, and the delegates are in DMA::Logger::LoggerDelegate.

DMA:
Dbh.pm DebugPrinter.pm ErrorHandler.pm FSM.pm ISODate.pm
ldconfig.pm LoggerDelegate LoggerDelegate.pm Logger.pm
Version.pm

DMA/LoggerDelegate:
DB.pm File.pm SimpleHttp.pm Simple.pm Syslog.pm

I am wondering if I would be better off with a namespace like
this:

Logger.pm
LoggerDelegate.pm

Logger:
Dbh.pm DebugPrinter.pm ErrorHandler.pm ISODate.pm

LoggerDelegate:
DB.pm File.pm SimpleHttp.pm Simple.pm Syslog.pm

or perhaps:

Logger.pm

Logger:
Dbh.pm DebugPrinter.pm ErrorHandler.pm ISODate.pm
ldconfig.pm LoggerDelegate LoggerDelegate.pm

Logger/LoggerDelegate:
DB.pm File.pm SimpleHttp.pm Simple.pm Syslog.pm

for release? Your advice would be welcome.

Search Discussions

  • Brian d foy at Apr 29, 2008 at 4:52 am

    In article <20080427105612.GA20765@vnl.com>, Dale Amon wrote:
    Now the namespace issue. For convenience I have heretofor
    kept things in DMA (my initials). Thus this package is in
    DMA::Logger, and the delegates are in DMA::Logger::LoggerDelegate.

    No one cares what your initials are. They care what your module can do
    for them. Use the name to give them as much information about that as
    you can :)
    I am wondering if I would be better off with a namespace like
    this:
    *Something* like that would be better, but you also need to distinguish
    your modules from other similar modules on CPAN. What sets apart your
    module from Log::Dispatch or Log4perl? Find that exciting feature and
    put it in the name somehow. :)

  • Dale Amon at Apr 29, 2008 at 10:25 am