Hi all,

i am in the process of writing what will soon be uploaded as Net::SMS::mesmo and
have modified and extended Net::SMS::Clickatell quite a bit.

Both for ease of use on my side and as an effort towars something like a common
interface of the Net::SMS::* modules, i have kept closely to the terminology,
funtion names etc of Net::SMS::Clickatell while creating Net::SMS::mesmo.

There are a few inconsistencies and, at least in my opinion, wrong design
decissions in Net::SMS::Clickatell which are ailing me more and more, especially
as i kind of feel bound to implement my own module along those lines.
To be specific, msgid($foo) will set the message id while msgid() is used to
query the message id last returned by Clickatell.
Also, parameters sometimes follow CamlNotation and somtimes they are
PLAIN_UPPER_TEXT.
This just makes it unnecessarily hard for the user to use the module.

With that said, i have a few questions:

1) The author of Net::SMS::Clickatell has not responded to my queries yet and
the last change to the module was 30 Nov 2004 - is there any policy in this kind
of case? Wait for some time? Request adoption? Create a new module? If yes, of
what name?

2) Is there any sane way of changing the implemented functionality and still
making sure not to break existing implementations using the module? Still
accepting the old parameters and emulating the funtionality of replaced/split up
functions seems like a way to go, but i am far from sure. Or do you just up the
version number and let them find out the hard way? What is policy here?

3) What name would you use for a (potential) module that offers a single
interface to various Net::SMS modules?

Regards,
Richard

Search Discussions