modid: Authen::SoopaCaptcha
DSLIP: adpOa
userid: JVANASCO (Jonathan Vanasco)
chapterid: 14 (Security_and_Encryption)
communities:
was briefly spoken about on mod_perl list

similar:
Authen::Captcha GD::SecurityImage

rationale:

SoopaCaptcha - SoopaCaptcha OOP Awesome Captcha

if anyone can think of a better name, i'm all for it.

( I would have gone with Captcha alone, but Authen::Captcha is
taken )

All the existing captcha modules were designed as imaging modules
for 1 library ( ie: gd ) then added in support for other libraries
as needed ( ie: image magick )

If you need to switch imaging libraries on your server, you're SOL
- you need to use a different module and refactor all your code if
you need to implement an alternative system ( sound, text puzzles )
you're also SOL if you need to implment a system for clusters, where
state etc isn't on 1 machine, you're doubly SOL

I designed a modular captcha system that would let programmers
specify and override the 'stages' of a captcha based on their own
requirements: The general notion is that a key maps a captcha. a key
is also like a credit card - it has some sort of internal checksum
that self-validates, and it also can be authenticated ( did you use
the key too much today ? ) a - key generation b - key authentication
c - generating a challenge d - rendering the challenge

captcha challenges are abstracted into 3 elements: instructions
user_prompt correct_response

given that, once we generate a challenge, we can then just say
"render this as sound using a drop in sound class" or "render this
as an image using a gd subclass" etc. if anyone ever needs to switch
output formats - text, image, gd vs imager - its just specifiing a
different render class. simple!

right now the system supports unobfuscated text in Imager and lame
text-logic puzzles -- both as proof of concept. i hope to wrap gd
secure image and a few other current perlmods as the render phase
for image captchas.

The alpha trunk is here:
http://dev.2xlp.com/svn/mod_perl/PerlCaptcha/

enteredby: JVANASCO (Jonathan Vanasco)
enteredon: Tue Jun 20 19:04:07 2006 GMT

The resulting entry would be:

Authen::
::SoopaCaptcha adpOa OOP framework for managing captchas JVANASCO

Thanks for registering,

Search Discussions

  • Steffen Mueller at Jun 21, 2006 at 6:57 am

    Perl Authors Upload Server schrieb:

    modid: Authen::SoopaCaptcha
[...]

    Now, what you describe sounds like Authen::PluggableCaptcha might be
    more appropriate? Authen::Captcha::Pluggable might not be good since
    Authen::Captcha is unrelated.

    What do you think?
    Steffen

groupmodules @