DSLIP: bdhhg
userid: IGUTHRIE (Ian Guthrie)
chapterid: 5 (Networking_Devices_IPC)
communities:
none

similar:
none

rationale:

Currently there is no module that gives a user access to Bluetooth
functionality. The module I am working on will allow users to access
Bluetooth via the BlueZ library on different flavors of Unix. Python
and Java currently have interfaces for the BlueZ library but Perl
does not.

The API for this module is quiet extensive and has to support a lot
of varied functionality. I am currently about 2/3rds of the way
done. So far there is support for local device detection, remote
device discovery, remote service discovery, and RFCOMM connections.

Once the BlueZ interface is finished, I would also like to add
support for Windows.

I want to go ahead and register this namespace since I am nearing
completion and I have put a good amount of work into it so far.

enteredby: IGUTHRIE (Ian Guthrie)
enteredon: Fri Jun 2 05:54:35 2006 GMT

The resulting entry would be:

Net::
::Bluetooth bdhhg Perl interface to Bluetooth IGUTHRIE

Thanks for registering,

Search Discussions

  • Iguthrie at Jun 2, 2006 at 5:21 pm
    I just noticed that someone requested Bluetooth::Socket around a year ago
    and it is somewhat similar. I sent an email to the author asking if he was going
    to continue work on the module or if it is dead.

    The modules would have different namespaces, so there wouldn't be any name
    clashes. They also would provide different functionality, so I would like to
    go ahead with Net::Bluetooth.

    Cheers,
    Ian
  • Adam Kennedy at Jun 3, 2006 at 5:42 am
    Do you think this be Device::Bluetooth?

    Or would Net::Bluetooth be used for the basics, with individual device
    interfaces as Device::Something.

    Adam K

    Perl Authors Upload Server wrote:

    modid: Net::Bluetooth
[...]

  • Iguthrie at Jun 5, 2006 at 9:48 pm
    Hmm, well any kind of device can use Bluetooth (USB adapater, PDA, etc).
    Bluetooth I guess is really just a specification/protocol that is used to
    communicate between devices, and that other protocols are built on top
    of (L2CAP, RFCOMM).

    The module I am almost ready to upload, contains an API that allows you to
    discover local Bluetooth devices (what USB adapter you are using, etc), to
    search for remote Bluetooth devices that are in range, to discover what
    services the remote devices have available, and to connect to them via RFCOMM or
    L2CAP so you can send or receive data.

    This is all independent of the device as long as it is Bluetooth enabled, so
    I am guessing the Net:: namespace might make the most sense, but what do you
    think after reading what the module will support?

    Cheers,
    Ian

groupmodules @
categoriesperl