FAQ
The Apache XML Delivery Toolkit is a new set of modules designed for
delivering XML to clients in a variety of formats using nothing but W3C
standards. The idea is very similar to Cocoon, but AXDTK features a much
tighter binding to Apache, and much more standards oriented (Cocoon
implements some features by breaking the standards).

This is a request for the AXDTK::* namespace. I would like to use this
namespace rather than continue to fill up the already over-used Apache::*
namespace. AXDTK intends to implement many stylesheet languages and each
one will fill another name, so using Apache::* is really not an
option. Apache::AXDTK::* is one alternative, but I think the depth and the
utility of this package deserves its own namespace.

About AXDTK: http://xml.sergeant.org/axdtk/
About Cocoon: http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/

I know modules@perl.org is a mostly read-only list, so if I don't hear
anything back within the week I'll start uploading to CPAN.

--
<Matt/>

Fastnet Software Ltd. High Performance Web Specialists
Providing mod_perl, XML, Sybase and Oracle solutions
Email for training and consultancy availability.
http://sergeant.org http://xml.sergeant.org

Search Discussions

  • Joshua N Pritikin at May 1, 2000 at 12:44 pm

    On Sun, Apr 30, 2000 at 11:10:21PM +0100, matt@sergeant.org wrote:
    The Apache XML Delivery Toolkit is a new set of modules designed for
    [snip]

    This is a request for the AXDTK::* namespace. I would like to use this
    namespace rather than continue to fill up the already over-used Apache::*
    namespace. AXDTK intends to implement many stylesheet languages and each
    one will fill another name, so using Apache::* is really not an
    option. Apache::AXDTK::* is one alternative, but I think the depth and the
    utility of this package deserves its own namespace.
    For what it's worth, I'd favor AXKIT over AXDTK.

    Comments?

    --
    "May the best description of competition prevail."
    via, but not speaking for Deutsche Bank
  • Matt Sergeant at May 1, 2000 at 12:49 pm

    On Mon, 1 May 2000, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
    On Sun, Apr 30, 2000 at 11:10:21PM +0100, matt@sergeant.org wrote:
    The Apache XML Delivery Toolkit is a new set of modules designed for
    [snip]

    This is a request for the AXDTK::* namespace. I would like to use this
    namespace rather than continue to fill up the already over-used Apache::*
    namespace. AXDTK intends to implement many stylesheet languages and each
    one will fill another name, so using Apache::* is really not an
    option. Apache::AXDTK::* is one alternative, but I think the depth and the
    utility of this package deserves its own namespace.
    For what it's worth, I'd favor AXKIT over AXDTK.

    Comments?
    Argh.. ;-)

    I already have lots of code and documentation mentioning AXDTK,
    unfortunately, including a mailing list called axdtk :-) But I'll ask
    there if anyone favours a name change (there are 100 people on the list).

    --
    <Matt/>

    Fastnet Software Ltd. High Performance Web Specialists
    Providing mod_perl, XML, Sybase and Oracle solutions
    Email for training and consultancy availability.
    http://sergeant.org http://xml.sergeant.org
  • Chris Nandor at May 1, 2000 at 1:29 pm

    At 8.43 -0400 2000.05.01, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
    On Sun, Apr 30, 2000 at 11:10:21PM +0100, matt@sergeant.org wrote:
    The Apache XML Delivery Toolkit is a new set of modules designed for
    [snip]

    This is a request for the AXDTK::* namespace. I would like to use this
    namespace rather than continue to fill up the already over-used Apache::*
    namespace. AXDTK intends to implement many stylesheet languages and each
    one will fill another name, so using Apache::* is really not an
    option. Apache::AXDTK::* is one alternative, but I think the depth and the
    utility of this package deserves its own namespace.
    For what it's worth, I'd favor AXKIT over AXDTK.
    I don't see much difference between the two.

    I think I'd prefer Apache::XML::* or something. I do not like cryptic
    top-level names, and I do not like acronyms for top-level names (unless
    they are widely known, standards, etc.). FWIW, that wouldn't mean needing
    to change the name of the mailing list, and fixing the modules and docs is
    almost as easy as a global one-liner. :-)

    --
    Chris Nandor | pudge@pobox.com | http://pudge.net/
    Andover.Net | chris.nandor@andover.net | http://slashcode.com/
  • Matt Sergeant at May 1, 2000 at 1:43 pm

    On Mon, 1 May 2000, Chris Nandor wrote:
    At 8.43 -0400 2000.05.01, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
    On Sun, Apr 30, 2000 at 11:10:21PM +0100, matt@sergeant.org wrote:
    The Apache XML Delivery Toolkit is a new set of modules designed for
    [snip]

    This is a request for the AXDTK::* namespace. I would like to use this
    namespace rather than continue to fill up the already over-used Apache::*
    namespace. AXDTK intends to implement many stylesheet languages and each
    one will fill another name, so using Apache::* is really not an
    option. Apache::AXDTK::* is one alternative, but I think the depth and the
    utility of this package deserves its own namespace.
    For what it's worth, I'd favor AXKIT over AXDTK.
    I don't see much difference between the two.

    I think I'd prefer Apache::XML::* or something. I do not like cryptic
    top-level names, and I do not like acronyms for top-level names (unless
    they are widely known, standards, etc.). FWIW, that wouldn't mean needing
    to change the name of the mailing list, and fixing the modules and docs is
    almost as easy as a global one-liner. :-)
    Right, fixing it is always possible (except the module is already in use -
    so that's another issue). However lets take a look at CPAN's root
    directory:

    ARS
    ACE
    B
    BBDB
    BnP
    CIPP
    Cdk
    Cz
    DCE
    DWH_File
    ERG
    FFI
    LSF
    LWP
    MOP
    NNML
    PDL
    POE
    PV
    Sx
    WDDX

    Phew - that's an awful lot of acronyms ;-)

    I know I'm stretching this a bit - the above is meant humorously, and I
    realise that a lot of the above will have been uploaded without a request
    to modules@perl.org, but AXDTK is more of a product, than something that
    should be under the Apache::XML::* namespace. I guess that's my opinion,
    anyway.

    As for being "widely known, standards, etc", well I hope to make the first
    one of those a reality in the near future with a number of articles in
    various publications. That's how a lot of the above got to be "widely
    known" too. Although some of the above are just simply named badly! ;-)

    --
    <Matt/>

    Fastnet Software Ltd. High Performance Web Specialists
    Providing mod_perl, XML, Sybase and Oracle solutions
    Email for training and consultancy availability.
    http://sergeant.org http://xml.sergeant.org
  • Joshua N Pritikin at May 1, 2000 at 1:55 pm

    On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 02:40:51PM +0100, matt@sergeant.org wrote:
    On Mon, 1 May 2000, Chris Nandor wrote:
    I think I'd prefer Apache::XML::* or something. I do not like cryptic
    top-level names, and I do not like acronyms for top-level names (unless
    they are widely known, standards, etc.). FWIW, that wouldn't mean needing
    to change the name of the mailing list, and fixing the modules and docs is
    almost as easy as a global one-liner. :-)
    Right, fixing it is always possible (except the module is already in use -
    so that's another issue). However lets take a look at CPAN's root
    directory:

    [A-Z]{1,4}

    Phew - that's an awful lot of acronyms ;-)
    Look, we're not suggesting that you to rename it to:

    Apache::XML::DeliveryToolkit

    Even so, are we being too picky?

    --
    "May the best description of competition prevail."
    via, but not speaking for Deutsche Bank
  • Matt Sergeant at May 1, 2000 at 2:04 pm

    On Mon, 1 May 2000, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
    On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 02:40:51PM +0100, matt@sergeant.org wrote:
    On Mon, 1 May 2000, Chris Nandor wrote:
    I think I'd prefer Apache::XML::* or something. I do not like cryptic
    top-level names, and I do not like acronyms for top-level names (unless
    they are widely known, standards, etc.). FWIW, that wouldn't mean needing
    to change the name of the mailing list, and fixing the modules and docs is
    almost as easy as a global one-liner. :-)
    Right, fixing it is always possible (except the module is already in use -
    so that's another issue). However lets take a look at CPAN's root
    directory:

    [A-Z]{1,4}

    Phew - that's an awful lot of acronyms ;-)
    Look, we're not suggesting that you to rename it to:

    Apache::XML::DeliveryToolkit

    Even so, are we being too picky?
    Its a hard problem (I think someone said the hardest problem left in
    computer science is naming things). I don't know the right answer either -
    so your help is useful.

    I do see it as a slight barrier to entry that you
    can't come up with a new application (that isn't necessarily a module - I
    don't particularly consider AXDTK to be a module - it's more of an
    application) and just upload it to CPAN. Of course you can, without
    conferring with modules@perl.org - and CPAN will just accept it. So I
    could potentially just ignore you ;-) Seriously though, I think I might
    rename it anyway - 5 sylables is almost instant death for a cool
    project. So I'm trying to reduce it to 2... So I'm back to "naming
    things" again... *sigh*

    --
    <Matt/>

    Fastnet Software Ltd. High Performance Web Specialists
    Providing mod_perl, XML, Sybase and Oracle solutions
    Email for training and consultancy availability.
    http://sergeant.org http://xml.sergeant.org
  • Joshua N Pritikin at May 1, 2000 at 2:14 pm

    On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 03:01:16PM +0100, matt@sergeant.org wrote:
    On Mon, 1 May 2000, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
    Look, we're not suggesting that you to rename it to:

    Apache::XML::DeliveryToolkit

    Even so, are we being too picky?
    Its a hard problem (I think someone said the hardest problem left in
    computer science is naming things). I don't know the right answer either -
    so your help is useful.
    At your service.
    I do see it as a slight barrier to entry that you
    can't come up with a new application (that isn't necessarily a module - I
    don't particularly consider AXDTK to be a module - it's more of an
    application) and just upload it to CPAN.
    Sure. If you can't handle this barrier then I'm pretty skeptical about
    the longevity of your project. After all, it's not like I'm a fire
    breathing dragon. Pudge on the other hand... ;-)
    Of course you can, without
    conferring with modules@perl.org - and CPAN will just accept it. So I
    could potentially just ignore you ;-) Seriously though, I think I might
    rename it anyway - 5 sylables is almost instant death for a cool
    project. So I'm trying to reduce it to 2...
    That's why I suggested AXKIT. Isn't AXKIT two sylables?

    Apache::AXKIT::...

    Apache::XML::Kit::...

    Hm.
    So I'm back to "naming things" again... *sigh*
    Oh, don't get all droopy. Naming stuff is fun.

    --
    "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by stupidity."
    via, but not speaking for Deutsche Bank
  • Chris Nandor at May 1, 2000 at 1:59 pm

    At 14.40 +0100 2000.05.01, Matt Sergeant wrote:
    Right, fixing it is always possible (except the module is already in use -
    so that's another issue). However lets take a look at CPAN's root
    directory:

    ARS
    ACE
    B
    BBDB
    BnP
    CIPP
    Cdk
    Cz
    DCE
    DWH_File
    ERG
    FFI
    LSF
    LWP
    MOP
    NNML
    PDL
    POE
    PV
    Sx
    WDDX

    Phew - that's an awful lot of acronyms ;-)

    I know I'm stretching this a bit - the above is meant humorously, and I
    realise that a lot of the above will have been uploaded without a request
    to modules@perl.org, but AXDTK is more of a product, than something that
    should be under the Apache::XML::* namespace. I guess that's my opinion,
    anyway.
    1. Giving evidence of past sins isn't a good argument for the perpetuation
    of the same sins. Not that all of the above are sins, beause some of them
    aren't.

    2. I don't know what a "product" is.

    As for being "widely known, standards, etc", well I hope to make the first
    one of those a reality in the near future with a number of articles in
    various publications. That's how a lot of the above got to be "widely
    known" too. Although some of the above are just simply named badly! ;-)
    Yep.

    --
    Chris Nandor | pudge@pobox.com | http://pudge.net/
    Andover.Net | chris.nandor@andover.net | http://slashcode.com/
  • Matt Sergeant at May 1, 2000 at 2:05 pm

    On Mon, 1 May 2000, Chris Nandor wrote:

    1. Giving evidence of past sins isn't a good argument for the perpetuation
    of the same sins. Not that all of the above are sins, beause some of them
    aren't.
    I realise that. I was just trying to add humour. I also know though that
    people would like to upload applications to CPAN, and/or upload to a
    Java-like company namespace.
    2. I don't know what a "product" is.
    I should have said "application".

    --
    <Matt/>

    Fastnet Software Ltd. High Performance Web Specialists
    Providing mod_perl, XML, Sybase and Oracle solutions
    Email for training and consultancy availability.
    http://sergeant.org http://xml.sergeant.org
  • Joshua N Pritikin at May 1, 2000 at 1:39 pm

    On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 09:22:33AM -0400, pudge@pobox.com wrote:
    At 8.43 -0400 2000.05.01, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
    On Sun, Apr 30, 2000 at 11:10:21PM +0100, matt@sergeant.org wrote:
    The Apache XML Delivery Toolkit is a new set of modules designed for
    [snip]
    I think I'd prefer Apache::XML::* or something.
    Does the module involve a lot of class methods? E.g.

    Apache::XML::Math->new(...); #?

    You can already alias this stuff into a shorter package name if it seems
    like too much typing.

    --
    "May the best description of competition prevail."
    via, but not speaking for Deutsche Bank
  • Matt Sergeant at May 1, 2000 at 1:45 pm

    On Mon, 1 May 2000, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
    On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 09:22:33AM -0400, pudge@pobox.com wrote:
    At 8.43 -0400 2000.05.01, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
    On Sun, Apr 30, 2000 at 11:10:21PM +0100, matt@sergeant.org wrote:
    The Apache XML Delivery Toolkit is a new set of modules designed for
    [snip]
    I think I'd prefer Apache::XML::* or something.
    Does the module involve a lot of class methods? E.g.

    Apache::XML::Math->new(...); #?
    Its more Apache configuration, so we'd be talking:

    PerlTypeHandler Apache::XML::XMLFinder

    PerlHandler Apache::XML::MediaChooser::WAPCheck \
    Apache::XML::StyleChooser::PathInfo \
    Apache::XML::StyleFinder

    PerlSetVar StylesheetMap "application/x-xpathscript \
    => Apache::XML::Language::XPathScript"

    etc.

    --
    <Matt/>

    Fastnet Software Ltd. High Performance Web Specialists
    Providing mod_perl, XML, Sybase and Oracle solutions
    Email for training and consultancy availability.
    http://sergeant.org http://xml.sergeant.org
  • Tim Bunce at May 2, 2000 at 12:58 pm

    On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 08:43:47AM -0400, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
    On Sun, Apr 30, 2000 at 11:10:21PM +0100, matt@sergeant.org wrote:
    The Apache XML Delivery Toolkit is a new set of modules designed for
    [snip]

    This is a request for the AXDTK::* namespace. I would like to use this
    namespace rather than continue to fill up the already over-used Apache::*
    namespace. AXDTK intends to implement many stylesheet languages and each
    one will fill another name, so using Apache::* is really not an
    option. Apache::AXDTK::* is one alternative, but I think the depth and the
    utility of this package deserves its own namespace.
    For what it's worth, I'd favor AXKIT over AXDTK.
    In terms of pronouncability I'd agree (axe-kit vs er axe-dee-teekay).

    But from a CPAN perspective it's just one weird acronym vs another so I
    wouldn't be too worried about changing it for our sake, especially if
    you have used it all over all ready.

    Tim.

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupmodules @
categoriesperl
postedApr 30, '00 at 10:13p
activeMay 2, '00 at 12:58p
posts13
users4
websitecpan.org...

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2021 Grokbase