Heyas everyone,

I'm in the process of organising to have my very first contribution to CPAN
uploaded and see that it may be prudent to ask for feedback on the names I
currently have, especially as it is claiming a top-level name!

I'm very open to suggestions, though I do hope these are okay!

--------

Currently, I have the following modules:

  OpenHMD

   Utilising Inline::C, this module provides a binding to the OpenHMD C
   library (http://openhmd.net/), intended to be a very thin wrapper
   (i.e. behave as closely as possible to the C library).

  OpenHMD::Simple

   Utilising the OpenHMD module (above), this provides a *very* simple
   OO interface to OpenHMD, letting you use the library with very few
   methods (just 3) in the simplest case of a known device index,
                  such as the default device, 0).

     my $openhmd = OpenHMD::Simple->new(0);
     while (1) {
      $openhmd->update;
      my $state = $openhmd->state;
     }

In the near future I will also be creating:

  OpenHMD::Context
          OpenHMD::Device

   These are the fully fleshed out OO interfaces, providing individual
   methods for everything and allowing proper use of the library in a OO
   manner. These would utilise the OpenHMD module above and
   OpenHMD::Simple would be migrated to using these instead of OpenHMD
   directly.

In the more distant future, I'd like to make:

  OpenHMD::Backend::Inline
          OpenHMD::Backend::XS

   I'd like to convert OpenHMD to be a "frontend" module that allows the
   use of multiple possible backends (Inline, XS, ... PP?).

--------

I'm not sure if it matters at all, but I checked with the lead OpenHMD
developers and they have given their blessing for me to use the 'OpenHMD'
namespace (they have been very supportive of my efforts, even
regarding me as part
of the team). They can be contacted in #openhmd on freenode to confirm.

Thanks for your time, I hope these names are acceptable and that you
have a nice day!

Regards,
CandyAngel

Search Discussions

  • David Mertens at Nov 5, 2015 at 12:18 pm
    Sorry for a delayed answer, but here are my thoughts. It looks like you've
    published your module using the proposed naming. Your choice was a good
    one, in my opinion. Glad to see this hit CPAN!

    David
[...]

groupmodule-authors @
categoriesperl
postedOct 17, '15 at 12:46a
activeNov 5, '15 at 12:18p
websitecpan.org...

2 users in discussion

David Mertens: 1 post Candyangel: 1 post