In some cases just getting the average runtime from a benchmark isn't
really informative. Unfortunately this is all that we get from
Benchmark.pm

I have created a module giving a bit more information, currently
available on github:

https://github.com/pmakholm/benchmark-statistics-perl

Basically it just runs some code a couple of times and feeds the data to
Shlomi Fish's Statistics::Descriptive with the posibility of printing
some basic statistics. The API should be "not quite unlike" Benchmark.pm
but the output quite different.

Would this be of general interest (i.e. should I push it to CPAN?)

I'm no statistics expert so I'm also a bit worried I'm sticking my hand
in a hornets nest requiring me to defending soem shoole of creating
benchmarks.

I think it is to orthogonal from the data repported by Benchmark.pm to
be included in there?

And finally, it's almost all too simple. But having something simple on
CPAN might provoke someone knowledge into making something more usefull?

//Makholm

Search Discussions

  • Dhudes at Jun 21, 2011 at 8:51 pm

    In some cases just getting the average runtime from a benchmark isn't
    really informative. Unfortunately this is all that we get from
    Benchmark.pm
    Have you seen Devel::NYTProf?
  • Shlomi Fish at Jun 22, 2011 at 8:26 am

    In some cases just getting the average runtime from a benchmark isn't
    really informative. Unfortunately this is all that we get from
    Benchmark.pm
    Have you seen Devel::NYTProf?
    Well, Devel::NYTProf is for profiling - not for benchmarking. It runs the code
    once and gives some statistics on where it spends the most time (profiling), not
    of whether it is faster or slower than a different version (benchmarking).

    Regards,

    Shlomi Fish

  • Shlomi Fish at Jun 22, 2011 at 8:22 am
    Hi Peter,

    On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 12:18:16 +0200
    In some cases just getting the average runtime from a benchmark isn't
    really informative. Unfortunately this is all that we get from
    Benchmark.pm

    I have created a module giving a bit more information, currently
    available on github:

    https://github.com/pmakholm/benchmark-statistics-perl

    Basically it just runs some code a couple of times and feeds the data to
    Shlomi Fish's Statistics::Descriptive with the posibility of printing
    some basic statistics. The API should be "not quite unlike" Benchmark.pm
    but the output quite different.
    Well, first of all I'd like to note that while I am Statistics::Descriptive's
    maintainer, I did not originate it. The copyright still reads:

    <quote>

    Copyright (c) 1997,1998 Colin Kuskie. All rights reserved. This program is free
    software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl
    itself.

    Copyright (c) 1998 Andrea Spinelli. All rights reserved. This program is free
    software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl
    itself.

    Copyright (c) 1994,1995 Jason Kastner. All rights reserved. This program is
    free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as
    Perl itself.

    </quote>
    Would this be of general interest (i.e. should I push it to CPAN?)
    I'd say go for it.
    I'm no statistics expert so I'm also a bit worried I'm sticking my hand
    in a hornets nest requiring me to defending soem shoole of creating
    benchmarks.
    1. What is shoole? http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=shoole
    cannot find anything.

    2. I guess that uploading something partial may encourage people to improve on
    it further.
    I think it is to orthogonal from the data repported by Benchmark.pm to
    be included in there?

    And finally, it's almost all too simple. But having something simple on
    CPAN might provoke someone knowledge into making something more usefull?
    Right.

    Regards,

    Shlomi Fish

  • Lars Dɪᴇᴄᴋᴏᴡ 迪拉斯 at Jun 25, 2011 at 10:20 am
  • Tim Bunce at Jul 5, 2011 at 9:11 am