I have just uploaded my first module. I have read that there is an exception
from the rule "never the same file again" concerning docu files (an *.html
file is my case). But I could not find (if possible at all) how can I change
a documentation file that is part of my module distribution. Does it work,
perhaps, that I upload the whole module (a gzipped tar file) again, under
the same version/name, with the only difference in the package being a
changed .html file? Or should I upload that file separately (but how it can
be linked to the module?) ?

Many thanks for a help, and I am sorry to bother you with such newbie
question.

Cheers,
Martin

--
Martin Senger
email: martin.senger@gmail.com

Search Discussions

  • Shlomi Fish at Apr 30, 2007 at 11:11 am

    I have just uploaded my first module. I have read that there is an
    exception from the rule "never the same file again" concerning docu files
    (an *.html file is my case). But I could not find (if possible at all) how
    can I change a documentation file that is part of my module distribution.
    Does it work, perhaps, that I upload the whole module (a gzipped tar file)
    again, under the same version/name, with the only difference in the package
    being a changed .html file? Or should I upload that file separately (but
    how it can be linked to the module?) ?
    Please don't upload two different distributions with the same filename.
    Instead, you can trailing digits:

    Namespace-Module-0.0101.tar.gz
    ^^

    Regards,

    Shlomi Fish

    Shlomi Fish shlomif@iglu.org.il
    Homepage: http://www.shlomifish.org/

    -- An Israeli Linuxer
  • Martin Senger at Apr 30, 2007 at 11:27 am

    Please don't upload two different distributions with the same filename.
    Instead, you can trailing digits:

    Namespace-Module-0.0101.tar.gz
    ^^

    Many thanks for helping me. I was actually asking how to use the "exception"
    I have found on the PAUSE pages:

    "For security reasons you will never be able to upload a file with identical
    name again. This strict requirement does have one exception: documentation
    files may be overwritten. There's a simple regular expression that draws the
    line between docu und code:
    /(readme|\.html|\.txt|\.[xy]ml|\.[pr]df|\.pod)$/i. Filenames matching this
    regexp can be uploaded as often as you like."

    I am afraid that I am not sure if and how I can use this exception (I just
    need to change one hyperlink in one of my documentation HTML files in my
    module distribution).

    But perhaps your answer means "do not use this exception". Am I right?

    Regards,
    Martin

    --
    Martin Senger
    email: martin.senger@gmail.com
    skype: martinsenger
  • Aristotle Pagaltzis at Apr 30, 2007 at 12:16 pm

    * Martin Senger [2007-04-30 13:40]:
    I am afraid that I am not sure if and how I can use this
    exception (I just need to change one hyperlink in one of my
    documentation HTML files in my module distribution).
    You can’t. Your HTML is inside a tarball, which is what you
    uploaded, and the name of what you uploaded does not match
    the given regex, so the exception does not apply to it.

    You’ll have to upload a new version.

  • Lars Thegler at Apr 30, 2007 at 7:59 pm