----- Forwarded message from Sumiya <sumiya_k@tradewintech.co.jp> -----

Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 09:19:15 +0900
From: Sumiya <sumiya_k@tradewintech.co.jp>
To: Tim.Bunce@pobox.com
Subject: Question about DBD::Oracle

Dear Mr. Tim Bunce,

I would like to ask you about DBD::Oracle.
Would you tell me what makes difference behaviourbetween
OCI 8 and OCI 9.2 on ORA_VARCHAR2?
Is is a bug of DBD or OCI?
Please explain more detail.

http://search.cpan.org/~pythian/DBD-Oracle-1.27/Oracle.pm#Connect_Attributes

ORA_VARCHAR2
Oracle clients using OCI 8 will strip trailing spaces and allow embedded
\0 bytes. Oracle clients using OCI 9.2 do not strip trailing spaces and
allow embedded \0 bytes. This is the normal default placeholder type.

Yours faithfully,

Kiyoshi Sumiya,

----- End forwarded message -----

Search Discussions

  • John Scoles at May 24, 2011 at 2:00 pm
    Hmm talk about ancient history.

    Not a but in either me thinks

    I believe this is the default behaviour of early OCI clients like OCI 7 to trim all varchars. This changed for some reason by Oracle in
    OCI 8 and then changed again by Oracle in 9 and later clients. There are different ways the various clients handle null terminated strings as well which is another kettle of fish.

    The short of it is since 9 there has been no changes but eailer version there where a number of different ways of handling trailing spaces.

    Correct me if I am wrong Tim but I do not think it is a bug in DBD::Oracle just different implementations on OCI clients.

    Hope this helps

    cheers
    John
    I would like to ask you about DBD::Oracle.
    Would you tell me what makes difference behaviourbetween
    OCI 8 and OCI 9.2 on ORA_VARCHAR2?
    Is is a bug of DBD or OCI?
    Please explain more detail.

    http://search.cpan.org/~pythian/DBD-Oracle-1.27/Oracle.pm#Connect_Attributes

    ORA_VARCHAR2
    Oracle clients using OCI 8 will strip trailing spaces and allow embedded
    \0 bytes. Oracle clients using OCI 9.2 do not strip trailing spaces and
    allow embedded \0 bytes. This is the normal default placeholder type.

    Yours faithfully,

    Kiyoshi Sumiya,

    ----- End forwarded message -----
  • Martin J. Evans at May 24, 2011 at 2:18 pm

    I believe this is the default behaviour of early OCI clients like OCI 7 to trim all varchars. This changed for some reason by Oracle in
    OCI 8 and then changed again by Oracle in 9 and later clients. There are different ways the various clients handle null terminated strings as well which is another kettle of fish.

    The short of it is since 9 there has been no changes but eailer version there where a number of different ways of handling trailing spaces.

    Correct me if I am wrong Tim but I do not think it is a bug in DBD::Oracle just different implementations on OCI clients.
    I think that is what ChopBlanks in DBI gets around - different DB behaviours wrt to trailing spaces. I don't see it as a bug in DBD::Oracle if different versions of Oracle do different things, people coding to them might want those different behaviours and if they don't they can use ChopBlanks to get no trailing spaces.
    Hope this helps

    cheers
    John
    Martin