[redirected to dbi-users list]
On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 03:05:59PM -0400, John Scoles wrote:
I was given a patch for DBD::Oracle today the just of it was to open
up the OCI commands for starting up and shuting down the DB.

So the question is would this be out of the DBI spec to allow direct
control of the DB like this or does this fall under the custom
function category.
The general approach is for drivers to add such things as private
methods. If several drivers have implemented similar functionality
then, and only then, would it be safe to consider extending the DBI to
cover that kind of functionality.

Tim.

p.s. In this case I'd like to see the Oracle::OCI module revived.
It could handle this requirement and much else besides.

Search Discussions

  • John Scoles at Apr 18, 2011 at 7:46 pm

    I was given a patch for DBD::Oracle today the just of it was to open
    up the OCI commands for starting up and shuting down the DB.

    So the question is would this be out of the DBI spec to allow direct
    control of the DB like this or does this fall under the custom
    function category.
    The general approach is for drivers to add such things as private
    methods. If several drivers have implemented similar functionality
    then, and only then, would it be safe to consider extending the DBI to
    cover that kind of functionality.
    That's what I figured.
    Tim.

    p.s. In this case I'd like to see the Oracle::OCI module revived.
    It could handle this requirement and much else besides.
    No movement on that mod in what 10 years

    Cheers
    John

groupdbi-users @
categoriesperl