Hello,

I have a question regarding DBI.pm and hoping you will be able to help me
with an answer. I am working with a perl script and when I tried executing
the script, I got a syntax error: Can't locate DBI.pm in @INC. I checked the
directories in @INC array and both the directories (C:\Perl\lib and
C:\Perl\Site\lib) seem to miss DBI.pm. I also did the search in parent
directory c:\Perl but could not find DBI.pm anywhere. Could be that DBI.pm
module never got installed or got deleted by some other user accidentally.
Can you please suggest how can I fix this problem? Do I need to install DBI
module again and if that is the case which version would it be and where can
I install it from? I am using Perl, v5.6.1 built for
MSWin32-x86-multi-thread on Windows 2003.

Thanks much in advance for being so kind to help.

--
Kind Regards,

Mayank Gupta
mayank.appu@gmail.com
(703) 677-6984

Search Discussions

  • Mayank Gupta at Oct 7, 2010 at 2:20 pm
    Hi Tim,

    I very new to Perl and have been put in a situation where I am supposed to
    figure out why a Perl code is not working. I have already written to
    dbi-users@perl.org
    and am still awaiting a response. I just thought I would right to you too
    with a hope that you might be able to help me.

    Issue is with the DBI module for Perl, v5.6.1 built for
    MSWin32-x86-multi-thread on Windows 2003. I am getting a syntax error: Can't
    locate DBI.pm in @INC. I checked the directories in @INC array and both the
    directories (C:\Perl\lib and C:\Perl\Site\lib) seem to miss DBI.pm. I also
    did the search in parent directory c:\Perl but could not find DBI.pm
    anywhere. Could be that DBI.pm module never got installed or got deleted by
    some other user accidentally.

    Can you please suggest how can I fix this problem? Do I need to install DBI
    module again and if that is the case which version would it be and where can
    I install it from? Or better would be installing absolute new version of
    Perl?

    *Also, following is what I tried in command line to install but didn't work:
    *

    PPM> install dbi
    Install package 'dbi?' (y/N): y
    Installing package 'dbi'...
    Downloading
    http://ppm.activestate.com/PPMPackages/5.6/MSWin32-x86-multi-thread/
    DBI-1.48.tar.gz ...
    Error installing package 'dbi': Error reading
    http://ppm.activestate.com/PPMPack
    ages/5.6/MSWin32-x86-multi-thread/DBI-1.48.tar.gz

    *Version of Perl:*

    Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.
    C:\Documents and Settings\mgupta>perl -v
    Copyright 1987-2001, Larry Wall
    Binary build 638 provided by ActiveState Corp.
    http://www.ActiveState.com<http://www.activestate.com/>
    ActiveState is a division of Sophos.
    Built Apr 13 2004 19:24:21
    Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or
    the
    GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.
    this system using `man perl' or `perldoc perl'. If you have access to the
    Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.com/, the Perl Home Page.

    Thanks much in advance for being so kind to help. I will appreciate a
    response back.

    Kind Regards,
    Mayank Gupta.
    703-677-6984.

[...]

  • Martin J. Evans at Oct 8, 2010 at 8:10 am

    I very new to Perl and have been put in a situation where I am supposed to
    figure out why a Perl code is not working. I have already written to
    dbi-users@perl.org
    and am still awaiting a response. I just thought I would right to you too
    with a hope that you might be able to help me.

    Issue is with the DBI module for Perl, v5.6.1 built for
    MSWin32-x86-multi-thread on Windows 2003. I am getting a syntax error: Can't
    locate DBI.pm in @INC. I checked the directories in @INC array and both the
    directories (C:\Perl\lib and C:\Perl\Site\lib) seem to miss DBI.pm. I also
    did the search in parent directory c:\Perl but could not find DBI.pm
    anywhere. Could be that DBI.pm module never got installed or got deleted by
    some other user accidentally.

    Can you please suggest how can I fix this problem? Do I need to install DBI
    module again and if that is the case which version would it be and where can
    I install it from? Or better would be installing absolute new version of
    Perl?

    *Also, following is what I tried in command line to install but didn't work:
    *

    PPM> install dbi
    Install package 'dbi?' (y/N): y
    Installing package 'dbi'...
    Downloading
    http://ppm.activestate.com/PPMPackages/5.6/MSWin32-x86-multi-thread/
    DBI-1.48.tar.gz ...
    Error installing package 'dbi': Error reading
    http://ppm.activestate.com/PPMPack
    ages/5.6/MSWin32-x86-multi-thread/DBI-1.48.tar.gz

    I don't know much about ActiveState Perl but it looks as though something is going wrong obtaining the DBI package from ActiveState. When I use that URL it prompts for a password for the "ActiveState Business Edition". Guess you need to talk to ActiveState or someone in your organisation that knows about your ActiveState license/support or perhaps it is something really simple like your proxy settings are not correct.

    Martin
    --
    Martin J. Evans
    Easysoft Limited
    On 10/7/2010 10:20 AM, Mayank Gupta wrote:

    When in trouble with Activestate Perl for windows you best bet would be to

    1) deinstall all of the Activestate products on your box
    2) install only the free version of Perl from here
    http://www.activestate.com/activeperl/downloads
    3) start again

    Hi Tim,

    I very new to Perl and have been put in a situation where I am supposed to
    figure out why a Perl code is not working. I have already written to
    dbi-users@perl.org
    and am still awaiting a response. I just thought I would right to you too
    with a hope that you might be able to help me.

    Issue is with the DBI module for Perl, v5.6.1 built for
    MSWin32-x86-multi-thread on Windows 2003. I am getting a syntax error: Can't
    locate DBI.pm in @INC. I checked the directories in @INC array and both the
    directories (C:\Perl\lib and C:\Perl\Site\lib) seem to miss DBI.pm. I also
    did the search in parent directory c:\Perl but could not find DBI.pm
    anywhere. Could be that DBI.pm module never got installed or got deleted by
    some other user accidentally.

    Can you please suggest how can I fix this problem? Do I need to install DBI
    module again and if that is the case which version would it be and where can
    I install it from? Or better would be installing absolute new version of
    Perl?

    *Also, following is what I tried in command line to install but didn't work:
    *

    PPM> install dbi
    Install package 'dbi?' (y/N): y
    Installing package 'dbi'...
    Downloading
    http://ppm.activestate.com/PPMPackages/5.6/MSWin32-x86-multi-thread/
    DBI-1.48.tar.gz ...
    Error installing package 'dbi': Error reading
    http://ppm.activestate.com/PPMPack
    ages/5.6/MSWin32-x86-multi-thread/DBI-1.48.tar.gz

    *Version of Perl:*

    Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.
    C:\Documents and Settings\mgupta>perl -v
    This is also a very very old version of Perl
[...]

  • Martin J. Evans at Oct 8, 2010 at 12:06 pm

    On 08/10/10 12:41, John Scoles wrote:
    On 10/7/2010 10:20 AM, Mayank Gupta wrote:

    When in trouble with Activestate Perl for windows you best bet would be to

    1) deinstall all of the Activestate products on your box
    2) install only the free version of Perl from here
    http://www.activestate.com/activeperl/downloads
    3) start again
    I'm not sure this is the "best bet" in this case or even in general.
    Mayank, I'm no ActiveState expert but it looks like you have a business addition of ActiveState your company may have paid for so I would not rush to deinstall it and replace with the "free" version.

    Also if you have a proxy issue reinstalling is not going to make it go away.

    Martin
    --
    Martin J. Evans
    Easysoft Limited
> [...]

    executing
    the script, I got a syntax error: Can't locate DBI.pm in @INC. I
    checked the
    directories in @INC array and both the directories (C:\Perl\lib and
    C:\Perl\Site\lib) seem to miss DBI.pm. I also did the search in parent
    directory c:\Perl but could not find DBI.pm anywhere. Could be that
    DBI.pm
    module never got installed or got deleted by some other user
    accidentally.
    Can you please suggest how can I fix this problem? Do I need to
    install DBI
    module again and if that is the case which version would it be and
    where can
    I install it from? I am using Perl, v5.6.1 built for
    MSWin32-x86-multi-thread on Windows 2003.

    Thanks much in advance for being so kind to help.
  • John Scoles at Oct 8, 2010 at 12:43 pm

    On 10/8/2010 8:06 AM, Martin J. Evans wrote:
    On 08/10/10 12:41, John Scoles wrote:
    On 10/7/2010 10:20 AM, Mayank Gupta wrote:

    When in trouble with Activestate Perl for windows you best bet would be to

    1) deinstall all of the Activestate products on your box
    2) install only the free version of Perl from here
    http://www.activestate.com/activeperl/downloads
    3) start again
    I'm not sure this is the "best bet" in this case or even in general.
    Mayank, I'm no ActiveState expert but it looks like you have a business addition of ActiveState your company may have paid for so I would not rush to deinstall it and replace with the "free" version.

    Also if you have a proxy issue reinstalling is not going to make it go away.

    Martin
    True enough I get so use to people using the free edition it didn't even
    cross my mind that someone would pay for it.

    Might be the case that the software has expired as it is over 6 years old.

    Do what Martin suggests go back to activestate and ask.
  • Mayank Gupta at Oct 7, 2010 at 3:18 pm
    Hello,

    I have a question regarding DBI.pm and hoping you will be able to help me
    with an answer. Issue is with the DBI module for Perl, v5.6.1 built for
    MSWin32-x86-multi-thread on Windows 2003. I am getting a syntax error: Can't
    locate DBI.pm in @INC. I checked the directories in @INC array and both the
    directories (C:\Perl\lib and C:\Perl\Site\lib) seem to miss DBI.pm. I also
    did the search in parent directory c:\Perl but could not find DBI.pm
    anywhere. Could be that DBI.pm module never got installed or got deleted by
    some other user accidentally.

    Can you please suggest how can I fix this problem? Do I need to install DBI
    module again and if that is the case which version would it be and where can
    I install it from? Or better would be installing absolute new version of
    Perl?

    *Also, following is what I tried in command line to install but didn't work:
    *

    PPM> install dbi
    Install package 'dbi?' (y/N): y
    Installing package 'dbi'...
    Downloading
    http://ppm.activestate.com/PPMPackages/5.6/MSWin32-x86-multi-thread/
    DBI-1.48.tar.gz ...
    Error installing package 'dbi': Error reading
    http://ppm.activestate.com/PPMPack
    ages/5.6/MSWin32-x86-multi-thread/DBI-1.48.tar.gz

    *Version of Perl:*

    Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.
    C:\Documents and Settings\mgupta>perl -v
    Copyright 1987-2001, Larry Wall
    Binary build 638 provided by ActiveState Corp.
    http://www.ActiveState.com<http://www.activestate.com/>
    ActiveState is a division of Sophos.
    Built Apr 13 2004 19:24:21
    Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or
    the
    GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.
    this system using `man perl' or `perldoc perl'. If you have access to the
    Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.com/, the Perl Home Page.

    Thanks much in advance for being so kind to help. I will appreciate a
    response back.

    --
    Kind Regards,

    Mayank Gupta
    mayank.appu@gmail.com
    (703) 677-6984
  • Chad Wallace at Oct 7, 2010 at 11:16 pm
    I don't know why PPM wouldn't be able to install DBI. You'd have a
    better chance of finding the solution if you asked on the activeperl
    mailing list:

    http://code.activestate.com/lists/activeperl/

    The members of that list would have experience with PPM.

    On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 11:18:36 -0400
    Mayank Gupta wrote:
    Hello,

    I have a question regarding DBI.pm and hoping you will be able to
    help me with an answer. Issue is with the DBI module for Perl, v5.6.1
    built for MSWin32-x86-multi-thread on Windows 2003. I am getting a
    syntax error: Can't locate DBI.pm in @INC. I checked the directories
    in @INC array and both the directories (C:\Perl\lib and
    C:\Perl\Site\lib) seem to miss DBI.pm. I also did the search in
    parent directory c:\Perl but could not find DBI.pm anywhere. Could be
    that DBI.pm module never got installed or got deleted by some other
    user accidentally.

    Can you please suggest how can I fix this problem? Do I need to
    install DBI module again and if that is the case which version would
    it be and where can I install it from? Or better would be installing
    absolute new version of Perl?

    *Also, following is what I tried in command line to install but
    didn't work: *

    PPM> install dbi
    Install package 'dbi?' (y/N): y
    Installing package 'dbi'...
    Downloading
    http://ppm.activestate.com/PPMPackages/5.6/MSWin32-x86-multi-thread/
    DBI-1.48.tar.gz ...
    Error installing package 'dbi': Error reading
    http://ppm.activestate.com/PPMPack
    ages/5.6/MSWin32-x86-multi-thread/DBI-1.48.tar.gz

  • John R Pierce at Oct 7, 2010 at 11:19 pm

    On 10/07/10 8:18 AM, Mayank Gupta wrote:
    PPM> install dbi
    Install package 'dbi?' (y/N): y
    Installing package 'dbi'...
    Downloading
    http://ppm.activestate.com/PPMPackages/5.6/MSWin32-x86-multi-thread/DBI-1.48.tar.gz ...
    Error installing package 'dbi': Error reading
    http://ppm.activestate.com/PPMPackages/5.6/MSWin32-x86-multi-thread/DBI-1.48.tar.gz

    when I manually try and download from that URL, I get a request for a
    username and password, something about ActiveState Business Edition.

    I'd contact ActiveState support for this, as PPM is their own creation,
    to support a CPAN like environment for MS Windows.

groupdbi-users @
categoriesperl
postedOct 7, '10 at 3:20a
activeOct 8, '10 at 12:43p