On 2010-05-30 17:33:39 +1200, newbie01 perl wrote:
Am trying out DBI for Oracle and just want to know if for example, I need to
include column formatting stuff etc., is it best to just put them into a
.sql file and then execute the .sql file instead of placing them in the Perl
DBI script?
By "column formatting stuff" you mean commands like
column foo format a20
?

These are sqlplus commands, not sql commands, i.e., they are features of
the query tool, not the database. Consequently, they are not available
in perl. To format data in Perl, use Perl features, like printf,
formats, various templating toolkits, etc.

hp

--
_ | Peter J. Holzer | Auf jedem Computer sollte der Satz Ludwigs II
_|_) | Sysadmin WSR | eingeprägt stehen: "Ein ewig Rätsel will ich

Search Discussions

  • Newbie01 perl at Jun 2, 2010 at 11:17 pm
    Hi Peter,

    Yes, that is correct ... am referring to these commands ...

    If I already have the .sql file that has all the formatting in them, is it
    okay to just run @x.sql from the Perl DBI script ...

    BTW, you mentioned some "template toolkit", never heard of those ... can you
    elaborate on them or give a link reference that I can check
[...]

  • Bob McGowan at Jun 3, 2010 at 12:01 am

[...]

    Hi, newbie01 perl,

    First, may I suggest you should be "bottom posting", that is, put your
    words after the rest, as I'm doing. It makes it easier for others to
    scan through a post and figure out what it's all about ;-)

    As Peter said, those formatting commands are a feature of the "query
    tool". That means they work in sqlplus but not necessarily anywhere
    else. And the "@filename" function is also, I believe, specific to the
    "query tool". Though it may be common as the symbol of choice in
    several different tools, it is a "command" for the tool, not the DBI or DBD.

    In fact, if you tried to use "@x.sql" from a DBI script, you'd get some
    sort of error, since you've defined an array, @x with a concatenation
    operator, dot, and a bareword: sql.

    You will have to remove the formatting commands from your file, use the
    "real" SQL to get data, and then format for output using one of the
    tools Peter mentioned.

    As for "templating toolkits", you may want to go to CPAN, search for
    that name (or just "template") and study the results.

    --
    Bob McGowan

groupdbi-users @
categoriesperl