Greetings,
I saw a few messages about this, and I thought I should ask the same
question.

I am installing DBI 1.49, since my system has perl 5.6.1. I do not
have a sun compiler available, nor do I have root authority. I have
'installed' gcc, however. Seems to me there should be a way to tell
Makefile.PL to generate a makefile with gcc specific flags, but I am
having difficulty finding documentation on how to invoke Makefile.PL.

Is Makefile.PL documented anywhere? Is there a way to make it generate
code for gcc?

Next... Tim has documented in the README:

It is best to use a Perl that was built on the system you are
trying to use and it's also
important to use the same compiler that was used to build the Perl
you
are using.

Can someone explain to me why the compiled code for DBI needs to match
the compiler that created perl? Clearly I'm missing something...

thanks
phil

Search Discussions

  • Jonathan Leffler at Sep 3, 2008 at 6:27 am
    Caught again by the lack of Reply-To the list.

    I saw a few messages about this, and I thought I should ask the same
    question.

    I am installing DBI 1.49, since my system has perl 5.6.1. I do not
    have a sun compiler available, nor do I have root authority. I have
    'installed' gcc, however. Seems to me there should be a way to tell
    Makefile.PL to generate a makefile with gcc specific flags, but I am
    having difficulty finding documentation on how to invoke Makefile.PL.
    There is no easy way to do it.

    If you must use GCC, build your own Perl (5.10.0, therefore, not the archaic
    5.6.1), and run with the latest everything.

    Is Makefile.PL documented anywhere? Is there a way to make it generate
    code for gcc?
    Substantially - no.

    Next... Tim has documented in the README:

    It is best to use a Perl that was built on the system you are
    trying to use and it's also
    important to use the same compiler that was used to build the Perl
    you
    are using.

    Can someone explain to me why the compiled code for DBI needs to match
    the compiler that created perl? Clearly I'm missing something...

    It is bloody hard work to make it work otherwise. You may try - but it will
    be far quicker to build Perl and use your newly built Perl than to fix the
    build system so that it uses your compiler when the Perl was not built with
    it.

    Tim's advice is sound - I'd estimate 1 hour for rebuilding Perl. I'd
    estimate 1 week of hair-tearing frustration for trying to hack things so it
    builds with your compiler. Your second attempt might only be 1 day; after a
    few times, you'll give up, build your own Perl after all, and then wonder
    how you ever conceived of doing otherwise.

    --
    Jonathan Leffler <jonathan.leffler@gmail.com> #include <disclaimer.h>
    Guardian of DBD::Informix - v2008.0513 - http://dbi.perl.org

    --
    Jonathan Leffler <jonathan.leffler@gmail.com> #include <disclaimer.h>
    Guardian of DBD::Informix - v2008.0513 - http://dbi.perl.org
    "Blessed are we who can laugh at ourselves, for we shall never cease to be
    amused."
  • Ron Savage at Sep 3, 2008 at 7:20 am
    Hi Folks
    I am installing DBI 1.49, since my system has perl 5.6.1. I do not
    have a sun compiler available, nor do I have root authority. I have
    'installed' gcc, however. Seems to me there should be a way to tell
    Makefile.PL to generate a makefile with gcc specific flags, but I am
    having difficulty finding documentation on how to invoke Makefile.PL.
    There is no easy way to do it.

    If you must use GCC, build your own Perl (5.10.0, therefore, not the archaic
    5.6.1), and run with the latest everything.
    If you can install your own gcc, then you can install your own Perl :-),
    in which case...
    Is Makefile.PL documented anywhere? Is there a way to make it generate
    code for gcc?
    Substantially - no.
    A Perl module's Makefile.PL will /automatically/ Just Work if you are
    using Perl compiled under your control.
    Next... Tim has documented in the README:

    It is best to use a Perl that was built on the system you are
    trying to use and it's also
    important to use the same compiler that was used to build the Perl
    you
    are using.

    Can someone explain to me why the compiled code for DBI needs to match
    the compiler that created perl? Clearly I'm missing something...

    It is bloody hard work to make it work otherwise. You may try - but it will
    be far quicker to build Perl and use your newly built Perl than to fix the
    build system so that it uses your compiler when the Perl was not built with
    it.
    Besides Jonathan's advice, the central concept is 'binary
    compatability', which you can research [1] at your leisure.

    [1] That means read up on, not experiment with.
    Tim's advice is sound - I'd estimate 1 hour for rebuilding Perl. I'd
    estimate 1 week of hair-tearing frustration for trying to hack things so it
    builds with your compiler. Your second attempt might only be 1 day; after a
    few times, you'll give up, build your own Perl after all, and then wonder
    how you ever conceived of doing otherwise.
    Ahh, I see, Jonathan's an optimist...

    --
    Ron Savage
    ron@savage.net.au

    Jonathan Leffler <jonathan.leff...@gmail.com> #include <disclaimer.h>
    Guardian of DBD::Informix - v2008.0513 -http://dbi.perl.org
    "Blessed are we who can laugh at ourselves, for we shall never cease to be
    amused."

    --
    Jonathan Leffler <jonathan.leff...@gmail.com> #include <disclaimer.h>
    Guardian of DBD::Informix - v2008.0513 -http://dbi.perl.org
    "Blessed are we who can laugh at ourselves, for we shall never cease to be
    amused."
    Hi Jonathan,
    Thanks very for the humor - I need it. I have been trying to get
    things working with gcc... Amazingly I was able to get DBI to install,
    after tweaking the Makefile. But - I believe ultimately you are
    substantially correct. I will use my experience in getting DBI to
    install locally to - ahem install Perl locally...

    regards,
    pg

groupdbi-users @
categoriesperl