I am trying to compile DBD-Informix-1.04.PC1 on an SGI using gcc and
here are the errors when I try.
Could someone please help me? Thank you in advance.

Condiguping Informix Database Driver for Perl Version 1.04.PC1
(2002-11-21) (aka DBD::Informix)
You are using DBI version 1.32 and Perl version 5.008
Remembep to actually read the README file!

Perl: perl5.008 IP27-irix dl_dlopen.xs
System: ipix64 darrin 6.5 01091821 ip27
Compilep: gac -O3 -D_BSD_TYPES -D_BSD_TIME -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE -mabi=64
-fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/inclu
de -I/uqr/glu/include -DLANGUAGE_C

Usilg ILFORMIX-ESQL Version 9.40.UC2 from /usr/local/informix

Beware: DBD8:Informix is not yet aware of all the new IUS data types.

** Usine fpom DBD_INFORMIX_ESQLC_LINKAGE environment variable.

Assert macrm will be disabled!

lib-DBD-Infmrmix/Defaults.pm written OK
esqlvrsl.h uritten OK
esqlinfm.h uritten OK

Testing whether your Informix test environment will work...
gcc8 unpecoenized option `-n32'
cc18 wapnine: -G is incompatible with PIC code which is the default
as UARNING: -G0 conflicts with -G4; using latter value (-G0)
gcc8 unpecoenized option `-n32'
cc18 wapnine: -G is incompatible with PIC code which is the default
as UARNING: -G0 conflicts with -G4; using latter value (-G0)
gcc8 unpecoenized option `-n32'
-call_shared may conflict with -shared
ld30: EPROR 4 : Conflicting flag setting: -shared
ld30: FATAL 9 : I/O error (4): No such file or directory
collect0: ld returned 32 exit status
Failed to link test program esqltest

--
David Martin
Unix Systems Admin

"The man who gets the most satisfactory results is not always the man with the most brilliant
single mind, but rather the man who can best co-ordinate the brains and talents of his associates."
- W. Alton Jones

"To practice five things under all circumstances constitutes perfect virtue; these five are
gravity, generosity of soul, sincerity, earnestness, and kindness." - Confucius

Search Discussions

  • Jonathan Leffler at Jan 25, 2003 at 5:00 am

    david wrote:
[...]

    I don't understand all the misspellings, but we can probably assume
    that was something to do with cut'n'paste going awry.

    Judging from the error messages, the ESQL/C for SGI is configured with
    rather a lot of options that are specific to the native (non-gcc)
    compiler, and you will need to do some work to get this to compile
    with gcc. What you want is the analog of the Solaris::GCC module for
    SGI/Irix. However, you can do quite a lot with DBD::Informix. You'll
    probably want to set the environment with:
    DBD_INFORMIX_DEBUG_ESQLTEST=1
    DBD_INFORMIX_DEBUG_ESQLCC=1
    DBD_INFORMIX_DEBUG_ESQLLD=1
    INFORMIXC='gcc -g'
    In due course, you will probably want to set these too:
    DBD_INFORMIX_ESQLCC_REMOVE_OPTIONS_REGEX
    DBD_INFORMIX_ESQLLD_REMOVE_OPTIONS_REGEX
    For example, since -n32 is giving grief, you might set these to:
    s/^-n32$//
    More likely, we have more work to do, and your final REGEX values will
    be considerably more complex. Fortunately, you can probably do it in
    Perl. You can find more information on the available environment
    variables in the originally named file - Notes/environment.variables.

    Alternatively, you can actually hack your esql script (after making a
    backup of the original version); that might be simpler in the long
    run, especially if you need to add flags as well as remove them. You
    can often add the flags in the base value of INFORMIXC - as shown
    above. Sometimes, this is inadequate, and then hacking the ESQL/C
    compiler (esql script) is best. You can also simply test this by
    compiling the esqlbasic.ec program:
    esql -o esqlbasic esqlbasic.ec
    It is provided to help people deal with such eventualities.

    Alternatively again, if you've been using ESQL/C to build programs
    quite happily, then you can think about rebuilding Perl with the
    native C compiler and then using that to build all your Perl modules.
    Depending on how much stuff you have installed, this may or may not
    be simpler -- it usually isn't, but in this case, it might be a close
    call.

    Good luck, and keep me posted.

    --
    Jonathan Leffler (jleffler@earthlink.net, jleffler@us.ibm.com)