I am rather new to DBI and a few weeks ago I was geven a program by my
Oracle DBA that showed I can write to a
BLOB data type by setting the ora_type attribute in bind to 24, as in:

$sth->bind_param(1, $data, { ora_type => 24 } );

I have use this now for several weeks and it seems like my code is working
fine.

By looking through some code in my install directory of DBD::Oracle, I found
that
24 is equivalent to ORA_LONGRAW and it seems I should have used the symbol
ORA_BLOB.

Can anyone advise me if I should switch? Is it a coincidence that I have not
noticed an error?

-----------------
Harry Duin (pronounced as hari [as in Hari Krishna] dine [as in eat out])
harry.duin@bankofamerica.com tel:(312) 974-6379 pgr:(630) 362-9981
GMI IL1-231-18-32
Bank of America 231 S. LaSalle Street Chicago IL 60604

Search Discussions

  • Tim Bunce at Nov 19, 2002 at 11:23 am

    I am rather new to DBI and a few weeks ago I was geven a program by my
    Oracle DBA that showed I can write to a
    BLOB data type by setting the ora_type attribute in bind to 24, as in:

    $sth->bind_param(1, $data, { ora_type => 24 } );

    I have use this now for several weeks and it seems like my code is working
    fine.

    By looking through some code in my install directory of DBD::Oracle, I found
    that
    24 is equivalent to ORA_LONGRAW and it seems I should have used the symbol
    ORA_BLOB.

    Can anyone advise me if I should switch? Is it a coincidence that I have not
    noticed an error?
    Is the data being passed to the database correctly?
    Is the data in the form of a string of pairs of hex digits ([0-9A-F]*)
    A trace log showing the prepare thru to execute would show how the data
    is being bound.

    Tim.

groupdbi-users @
categoriesperl