is there a beginners tutorial for DBI with a focus on mySQL? or at least some sample source that i could look at? the summary for the DBD::mySQL module is a little too vague for my novice mind.

wendell

Search Discussions

  • Etienne Marcotte at Nov 9, 2001 at 1:04 pm
    Read the O'Reilly book on DBI and you should be pretty set to go.
    There is a section on mySQL syntax in it, but it's the same as in the
    www docs.

    As for mySQL syntax, the mySQL (huge) book by Paul Dubois is IMO the
    best one to learn the SQL for mySQL...

    Etienne

    W P wrote:
    is there a beginners tutorial for DBI with a focus on mySQL? or at least some sample source that i could look at? the summary for the DBD::mySQL module is a little too vague for my novice mind.

    wendell
  • Richard Taylor at Nov 9, 2001 at 5:18 pm
    I looked at the O'Reilly book, it was written 3 years ago and didn't have a
    large number of mySQL examples - one chapter if I remember correctly.

    The best one you can buy now is the recently published "MySQL and Perl for
    the Web" by Paul Dubois.

    Richard

    W P wrote:
    is there a beginners tutorial for DBI with a focus on mySQL? or at
    least some sample source that i could look at? the summary for the
    DBD::mySQL module is a little too vague for my novice mind.
    wendell
  • Bud Rogers at Nov 9, 2001 at 11:16 pm

    Read the O'Reilly book on DBI and you should be pretty set to go.
    There is a section on mySQL syntax in it, but it's the same as in the
    www docs.

    As for mySQL syntax, the mySQL (huge) book by Paul Dubois is IMO the
    best one to learn the SQL for mySQL...
    Paul has just put out another book called "MySQL and Perl for the Web". I
    just got it and haven't got very far yet, but it looks to be as well put
    together as his first book. Just glancing through it I see a lot of DBI
    and CGI code. Looks like it's going to be a fun read.

    --
    Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net>
    All things in moderation. And not too much moderation either.

    visit http://www.TPJ.com and readthe back issue articles on DBI

    another good one is in the archives http://www.Perl.com

    and you can see from good tutorials at http://www.PerlMonks.org