I wonder if somebody can shed some light on a problem I'm having. I've been
asked to get DBD Informix built on a linux box and it's giving me some
greif.

The client machine is running the 2.2.12-20smp kernel, perl -v outputs
v5.6.0, I've grabbed informix_client_sdk_v2.40.uc1_2_for_intel_linux.zip
from Informix and installed it and I'm trying to install
DBD-Informix-1.00.PC1.

The server I'm trying to connect to is Solaris 2.6 and the DB is Informix
7.30.UC2.

/etc/services and $INFORMIXDIR/etc/sqlhosts are OK. I've already searched
the web for a solution to this so I know we need to be using the ontlitcp
protocol on the server, and we are. The environment on the client looks
spot-on to my eyes (I can give more details on this if needed) and I can
rsh/rlogin to the server no problem.

So, my problem is, why am I seeing this...

Testing connection to test_db
CONNECT TO 'test_db' with user info
SQL: 25507: The specified service name or protocol is unknown.

... when I try building the software? I've tried setting the $DBI_DBNAME,
the $DBD_INFORMIX_USER and the $DBD_INFORMIX_PASSWORD to the appropriate
values, still the same.

Does anyone know what's up? Have I missed something in the docs? Any help or
suggestions much appreciated.

Cheers,

Will Mc Donald.

Orchid Telematics Systems Administrator.

Search Discussions

  • Jonathan Leffler at Mar 9, 2001 at 5:47 am

    Will Mc Donald wrote:

    I wonder if somebody can shed some light on a problem I'm having. I've been
    asked to get DBD Informix built on a linux box and it's giving me some
    greif.

    The client machine is running the 2.2.12-20smp kernel, perl -v outputs
    v5.6.0, I've grabbed informix_client_sdk_v2.40.uc1_2_for_intel_linux.zip
    from Informix and installed it and I'm trying to install
    DBD-Informix-1.00.PC1.

    The server I'm trying to connect to is Solaris 2.6 and the DB is Informix
    7.30.UC2.

    /etc/services and $INFORMIXDIR/etc/sqlhosts are OK. I've already searched
    the web for a solution to this so I know we need to be using the ontlitcp
    protocol on the server, and we are. The environment on the client looks
    spot-on to my eyes (I can give more details on this if needed) and I can
    rsh/rlogin to the server no problem.
    Being able to rlogin is useful. It cuts out a large number of potential
    problems.

    So, my problem is, why am I seeing this...

    Testing connection to test_db
    CONNECT TO 'test_db' with user info
    SQL: 25507: The specified service name or protocol is unknown.
    You need to use oltlitcp on the Sun machine, but you need to use olsoctcp on the
    Linux box. I'd be pretty confident that you are actually using oltlitcp on the
    Linux box too.

    If that's not the problem, then you need to get back to me via the
    dbd-informix@informix.com mailing list -- by all means include
    dbi-users@perl.org on the response too.

    --
    Jonathan Leffler (jleffler@earthlink.net, jleffler@informix.com)