Hello!

I sit on The Perl Foundation's Steering Committee as the Donor Relations
Chair and I may have meet some of you at previous YAPC's.

First, I want to personally THANK YOU ALL for supporting Perl and the
Perl Community with your programming skills! Secondly, I thank you for
supporting PostgreSQL, which I'm anxious to use with my version of Perl!

I've just recently started trying to work with PostgreSQL and want the
full capabilities (or the most I can get) of the database using Perl,
but I'm forced to use ActiveState by my employer for various security
and IT policy reasons.

I'm running ActivePerl 5.12.2 and cannot find your driver using their
PPM module installer.

More research yields this: http://code.activestate.com/ppm/DBD-Pg/
and clicking on red ! buttons shows why. I notice that this driver is
not available for ANY recent ActiveState version and I think it should be.

I found this same situation was true for DBD-mysql, but I intervened and
connected the module author and ActiveState and at least now the
ActiveState DBD-mysql driver has some working versions that can be
installed and work fine!
Please see http://code.activestate.com/ppm/DBD-mysql/

Not just for myself, but for the greater ActiveState Perl community, may
I please ask for your assistance in working with ActiveState to school
them on how to get your module to compile for their module repositories
so more of us can use PostgreSQL more fully?

These are two GREAT people at ActiveState who can either help you or
direct you to those who can help to get your module working with
ActivePerl !

Jan Dubois at jand@activestate.com

Jeff Hobbs at jeffh@activestate.com

If I can be of any other assistance to you, please email me! I plan to
attend YAPC::NA 2011 in Asheville, North Carolina, USA. I hope some of
you will be attending!

Sincerely,
Lawrence K. Hixson
Principal Systems Engineer/DBA
U.S. National Weather Service
Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
301-713-0022 x190

Search Discussions

  • Lamprecht at Apr 16, 2011 at 10:27 am

[...]

    Here is a guide by Mark Dootson posted to this list 2008-02-14.
    IIRC I had to edit the makefile and add libpq.lib to
    EXTRALIBS and LDLOADLIBS - but that was strawberry/mingw/dmake.

    Hth, Christoph
    Not directly helpful for MinGW / Strawberry, but I try to compile all my modules for ActiveState perl with VC6.

    I have PostgreSQL 8.3 installed from the msi and I selected to install development files.

    The changes I needed to make in DBD::Pg were:

    Makefile.PL -
    add 'use DBI::DBD;'.
    comment out "unlink $output->{MAKEFILE};" at line 247

    dbdimp.c
    comment out #include <strings.h>

    I then used the following statements

    set PATH=C:\PROGRA~1\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin;%PATH%
    set DBI_DSN=dbi:Pg:dbname=testdb
    set DBI_USER=username
    set DBI_PASS=password
    set POSTGRES_HOME=C:/PROGRA~1/PostgreSQL/8.3
    set POSTGRES_INCLUDE=C:/PROGRA~1/PostgreSQL/8.3/include
    set POSTGRES_LIB=C:/PROGRA~1/PostgreSQL/8.3/lib

    before doing

    perl Makefile.PL
    nmake
    nmake test

    All seems to work OK.

    I also built against my own perl compiled with VC6. For this I needed an extra step.
    I had to "#define snprintf _snprintf" in quote.c rather than dbdimp.c

    I haven't quite figured out why - but there you go.

    Anyway, I think that if VC6 is possible, MinGW should be OK too

    F.Y.I. - Of course, when you run DBD::Pg built this way, you must have libpq.dll and its dependencies on your path.

  • Mark Dootson at Apr 20, 2011 at 2:33 am
    Hi,

    I assume this is ActivePerl on Windows?

    If you open the Package Manager and add the repository

    wxPerl (it is in the drop - down list )

    you will find DBD::Pg 2.17.2 available.

    I shall build 2.18 in the next couple of weeks and post here when available.

    Regards

    Mark
[...]

  • Lawrence Hixson at Apr 21, 2011 at 6:46 pm
    Mark:
    Thanks! I got DBD-pg version 2.17.2 for ActivePerl from wxPerl !

    Jan:
    It would be nice if ActiveState could please note here
    http://code.activestate.com/ppm/DBD-Pg/ that the module is actually
    available from wxPerl, since they are misreporting that 'there aren't
    any builds for it in the package repositories" when there are, albeit
    from another suggested repository you folks are aware of.

    DBD-pg Module Maintainers:
    Can some one of your module maintainers please add some brief text to
    the module's perlpod on CPAN to inform ActiveState users that they can
    get this module from the wxPerl PPM repository? Thanks again all!

    Here's my suggested text to add to your perlpod as a starting point
    (please freely make improvements, no attribution required):

    =head1 For ActiveState ActivePerl Users
    You can find a version of DBD-pg by opening the GUI Perl Package Manager
    (PPM) from Window's Start, Programs, ActivePerl Menu, Perl Package
    Manager. From the PPM Preferences (use <CTRL-P> or click top right
    button shaped like a gear), click on the "Repositories" tab, and from
    the "Suggested" dropdown list choose the wxPerl repository, then click
    the Add button. When it finishes adding the wxPerl repository, you can
    then find a version of the DBD-pg in the "View all packages" and by
    typing "DBD-pg" into the search filter (the magnifying glass prompt),
    flag the module as "Mark for install," lastly click "Run marked actions."

[...]

  • Jan Dubois at Apr 21, 2011 at 9:01 pm