To all users of DateTime::Calendar::Discordian, my best wishes for YOLD
3181

And to all users of Julian and Gregorian calendars (through the use of
DateTime::Calendar::Julian and DateTime), happy new year 2015.

Now, to Rick about DateTime::Event::Easter:

I have noticed that your module has not been updated till 2004. It
appears in Neil Bowers' list of CPAN Adoption Candidates with a score
of 8. There are 3 current RT issues (actually 4, but RT 79041 and RT
101238 are duplicate IMHO). All three issues are about the POD
documentation and all three include a patch, but you should note that
there are 458 failures by the CPAN testers and RT 79041 explains these
failures.

http://neilb.org/adoption/

So, are you still maintaining this module? Do you have problems which
prevent you to update this module (commitments elsewhere, for
example)? Are these problems permanent or do you think they could be
solved within, say, a few months?

If necessary, you can give me co-maintenanceship so I can release a
new version of the module to CPAN. I have already forked the GitPAN
repo to work on the module, so I can already work on the module.
Beyond applying the patches from the RT tickets, I have a few other
ideas to improve the module.

1) Fix the kwalitee issues
http://cpants.cpanauthors.org/dist/DateTime-Event-Easter

2) Add the GPL-mandated comments in all code files. If you read the
Appendix to the GPL "How to apply these terms to you new programs",
you notice that you have to insert some comments at the beginning of
each source file. I consider that "each source file" includes the test
files "t/*.t", so I insert the GPL summary in these test files also.

3) New functionality: add the long range feasts and events associated
with Easter: fat tuesday, ash wednesday, ascension and pentecost. OK,
you can already do this if you know the numerical value of the offset,
but it would be nicer if the offset can be provided by the module.

4) Improve the code coverage by the "t/*.t" test files.

5) New functionality: public API for the Golden Number and the Epact.

I have already implemented (1) and (2) in my Github repo. I have time
to implement (3) and begin (4) while waiting for your approval for
co-maintenanceship. (5) can wait for the next release.

Best regards,

Jean Forget
(JFORGET on CPAN)

Search Discussions

  • Rick Measham at Jan 16, 2015 at 12:41 am
    Hi Jean,

    Thanks for poking me on this. I don't spend much time coding any more.
    And even less, coding in perl. And even less coding in DateTime!

    If you're willing to take over the maintenance then I have no problem
    with that at all. You'll need to remind me what I need to do to make
    that happen however.

    I built this as part of some work I was doing way-back-when that was
    aimed at creating a liturgical calendar that would deal with all the
    tiny ridiculous rules that go into determining different feast days and
    other holy days! In the end I let that go and all I got done was Easter.

    Regards
    - Rick
[...]

  • Rick Measham at Jan 19, 2015 at 4:27 am