I've been reading these threads regarding the Date and Time
namespaces with some interest, especially that bit about
consolidating the namespaces or defining some "standards". What
I'd like to know though, is what happens afterward.

Let's pretend that everything is consolidated under the DateTime
namespace. When someone on CPAN uses the Date or Time namespace,
are they going to a) not be allowed to submit their module to PAUSE
without running the datetime@perl.org gaunlet b) pressured into
conforming to the DateTime scheme c) politely informed about the
DateTime namespace and its purpose d) ignored because the Perl
community says that the DateTime namespace is the One True
Calendrical Namespace or e) none of the above.

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff
duff@cbi.tamucc.edu

Search Discussions

  • Abigail at Aug 25, 2001 at 1:29 pm

    I've been reading these threads regarding the Date and Time
    namespaces with some interest, especially that bit about
    consolidating the namespaces or defining some "standards". What
    I'd like to know though, is what happens afterward.

    Let's pretend that everything is consolidated under the DateTime
    namespace. When someone on CPAN uses the Date or Time namespace,
    are they going to a) not be allowed to submit their module to PAUSE
    without running the datetime@perl.org gaunlet b) pressured into
    conforming to the DateTime scheme c) politely informed about the
    DateTime namespace and its purpose d) ignored because the Perl
    community says that the DateTime namespace is the One True
    Calendrical Namespace or e) none of the above.

    Anything but e) would be against the natures of Perl and CPAN.

    Abigail
  • Kirrily Robert at Aug 25, 2001 at 4:40 pm

    In perl.datetime, you wrote:
    Let's pretend that everything is consolidated under the DateTime
    namespace. When someone on CPAN uses the Date or Time namespace,
    are they going to a) not be allowed to submit their module to PAUSE
    without running the datetime@perl.org gaunlet b) pressured into
    conforming to the DateTime scheme c) politely informed about the
    DateTime namespace and its purpose d) ignored because the Perl
    community says that the DateTime namespace is the One True
    Calendrical Namespace or e) none of the above.
    I'd suggest a combination of c) and b) and perhaps a little d). We can
    inform them politely, then if they ignore us we can inform them a little
    more stridently, then we can shrug and ignore them, as they obviously
    don't want to play along.

    Incidentally, I am now one of the modules@perl.org cabal (as of yesterday)
    and one of my first tasks is going to be to document any namespace
    conventions which do exist, make them easily available for module authors
    to check, and make sure that modules@perl.org encourages the use of the
    guidelines where possible.

    That won't stop people uploading rubbish via PAUSE, but it will at least
    mean that they have to put stuff in the right place (where the right
    place is known) for it to be in the official module list.

    K.

    --
    Kirrily 'Skud' Robert - skud@infotrope.net - http://infotrope.net/
    "I have to say that the word 'compliant' is not one which it would ever

groupdatetime @
categoriesperl
postedAug 25, '01 at 3:32a
activeAug 25, '01 at 4:40p