Rich Bowen wrote:
I was speaking with a Bible scholar recently, and the topic of dates and times
came up. I've been interested in the Hebrew calendar for a while, but as yet
have not understood it well enough to reduce it to an algorithm.
One of the things that came up in the conversation was what the phrase "in the
third hour" means. This is usually given the easy answer that counting starts
at what we call 6am, so the third hour is 9am. But, really, counting starts a
sunrise, so the third hour can fluctuate a huge amount, depending on your
latitude.
I grew up just a few miles from the equator, and sunrise and sunset were
reliably at 6am and 6pm. However, as far north as Israel, it would fluctuate
with the seasons.
Has anyone considered this sort of fluctuation in a Perl date module?
Yes! See Astro::Suntime or Astro::Sunrise for more info

Ron

groupdatetime @
categoriesperl
postedAug 22, '01 at 4:12p