FAQ
Hi cpan-workers,

I've built a new "instant mirroring" client 'iim' ; see

http://people.cs.uu.nl/henkp/iim/

for source, documetation etc,

o iim starts mirroring CPAN right after start-up ;
o if the local copy is too much (6 hours) out-of-date,
a full rsync is done first ; then, iim starts tracking
the changes in the master archive.
o iim is easy to install and easy to test
o iim is simple and efficient.

I'm very curious to know what you think ; so, please try it out ;
installing and testing should be very easy.

Thanks, groeten,

Henk Penning

--------------------------------------------------------- _
Henk P. Penning, ICT-beta R Uithof WISK-412 _/ \_
Faculty of Science, Utrecht University T +31 30 253 4106 / \_/ \
Budapestlaan 6, 3584CD Utrecht, NL F +31 30 253 4553 \_/ \_/
http://people.cs.uu.nl/henkp/ M penning@cs.uu.nl \_/

Search Discussions

  • Pedro Melo at Jun 16, 2011 at 9:00 am
    Hi,
    On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 9:03 AM, Henk P. Penning wrote:
    I've built a new "instant mirroring" client 'iim' ; see

    http://people.cs.uu.nl/henkp/iim/

    for source, documetation etc,

    o iim starts mirroring CPAN right after start-up ;
    o if the local copy is too much (6 hours) out-of-date,
    a full rsync is done first ; then, iim starts tracking
    the changes in the master archive.
    o iim is easy to install and easy to test
    o iim is simple and efficient.

    I'm very curious to know what you think ; so, please try it out ;
    installing and testing should be very easy.
    What is the main target of this? Is it for main CPAN mirrors to
    replace rrr, or for individual users to replace minicpan?

    Bye,
    --
    Pedro Melo
    @pedromelo
    http://www.simplicidade.org/
    http://about.me/melo
    xmpp:melo@simplicidade.org
    mailto:melo@simplicidade.org
  • Henk P. Penning at Jun 16, 2011 at 9:44 am
  • Henk P. Penning at Jun 16, 2011 at 10:20 am

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2011, David Precious wrote:

    Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 10:54:23 +0100
    From: David Precious <david.precious@uk2.net>
    To: cpan-workers@perl.org
    Cc: Henk P. Penning <henkp@cs.uu.nl>, Pedro Melo <melo@simplicidade.org>
    Subject: Re: new instant mirroring client
    On Thursday 16 June 2011 10:44:51 Henk P. Penning wrote:
    Iim is an alternative for rrr-client ; it does the same thing.

    Iim has some features I missed in rrr-client : quick startup,
    sparse logging, a daemon mode, a simple config file, etc.
    Should mirrors currently testing rrr-client switch to iim, then? In other
    words, is it intended to replace rrr-client before instant-update mirroring
    goes live?
    Hi David,

    at best, 'iim' could be an alternative for 'rrr-client' ;
    it is just another rrr client ; it is not a replacement
    for anything.

    If/when 'iim' is tested a little more (and everybody likes it :-),
    then 'iim' could be mentioned on the 'instant mirroring' page
    as an alternative for 'rrr-client'.

    For now, I would just really appreciate some feedback on 'iim'.
    David Precious
    Groeten,

    HPP

    --------------------------------------------------------- _
    Henk P. Penning, ICT-beta R Uithof WISK-412 _/ \_
    Faculty of Science, Utrecht University T +31 30 253 4106 / \_/ \
    Budapestlaan 6, 3584CD Utrecht, NL F +31 30 253 4553 \_/ \_/
    http://people.cs.uu.nl/henkp/ M penning@cs.uu.nl \_/
  • David Precious at Jun 16, 2011 at 10:47 am

    On Thursday 16 June 2011 11:20:08 Henk P. Penning wrote:
    at best, 'iim' could be an alternative for 'rrr-client' ;
    it is just another rrr client ; it is not a replacement
    for anything.

    If/when 'iim' is tested a little more (and everybody likes it :-),
    then 'iim' could be mentioned on the 'instant mirroring' page
    as an alternative for 'rrr-client'.

    For now, I would just really appreciate some feedback on 'iim'.
    Fair enough - I'm already testing rrr-client (and finding it to work well), so
    when I have sufficient tuits of circular shape, I'll try out iim alongside and
    offer any feedback I can.

    Incidentally, I've not seen any reports on the progress of instant mirroring
    for a bit - have I mised anything?


    Cheers

    Dave P

    --
    David Precious
    Outsource Development Manager, UK2.NET
    Be friends with UK2 - http://www.uk2.net/twitter | http://www.uk2.net/facebook
  • Pedro Melo at Jun 16, 2011 at 11:38 am
    Hi,
    On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 11:47 AM, David Precious wrote:
    On Thursday 16 June 2011 11:20:08 Henk P. Penning wrote:
    at best, 'iim' could be an alternative for 'rrr-client' ;
    it is just another rrr client ; it is not a replacement
    for anything.

    If/when 'iim' is tested a little more (and everybody likes it :-),
    then 'iim' could be mentioned on the 'instant mirroring' page
    as an alternative for 'rrr-client'.

    For now, I would just really appreciate some feedback on 'iim'.
    Fair enough - I'm already testing rrr-client (and finding it to work well), so
    when I have sufficient tuits of circular shape, I'll try out iim alongside and
    offer any feedback I can.
    I can also start a iim run in parallel with rrr.

    Incidentally, I've not seen any reports on the progress of instant mirroring
    for a bit - have I mised anything?
    I (and ambs) have cpan.perl.pt using rrr for some time now, and this
    past weekend the promoted it to be the master mirror. So far (using
    find . -type f, and diff) the differences are those to be expected. I
    plan to double check with rsync -nav during the weekend and if no
    problems are found, drop the rsync-based mirror.

    backpan.perl.pt will keep a 6 hour lag over cpan.perl.pt.

    Bye,
    --
    Pedro Melo
    @pedromelo
    http://www.simplicidade.org/
    http://about.me/melo
    xmpp:melo@simplicidade.org
    mailto:melo@simplicidade.org
  • Ask Bjørn Hansen at Jun 16, 2011 at 6:56 pm

    On Jun 16, 2011, at 3:47, David Precious wrote:

    Incidentally, I've not seen any reports on the progress of instant mirroring for a bit - have I missed anything?

    No - it's working nicely.

    You want to upgrade to 0.2.1 if you haven't already. It's fixing deletion of symlinks that weren't before (Henk noticed!).

    The outstanding todos are:

    1) Get the rest of the mirrors using funet to stop doing that (to help out the funet people).
    2) Encourage people to use instant mirroring (this can wait until it's been tested even more).
    3) Make cpan-rsync.perl.org point to a geographically nearby (and up-to-date) mirror. I thought this would be needed sooner; but the new master server is doing fine so far (Yay for SSD!)


    - ask
  • Ask Bjørn Hansen at Jun 16, 2011 at 6:51 pm

    On Jun 16, 2011, at 1:03, Henk P. Penning wrote:

    I'm very curious to know what you think ; so, please try it out ;
    installing and testing should be very easy.
    It's really great to get another client for the 'instant mirroring' system; it'll suit different people and more importantly it will help make the whole system more robust!

    A couple of comments/questions:

    - Why skip some of the files from the (instant) mirror? Or am I reading the code wrong?
    - The fake DBI.pm is a little dangerous in case someone tries to install it to the standard paths.
    - At a glance it looks like you just mirror one file at a time. If there are multiple new events, can't rsync mirror all of them in one connection/execution?



    - ask
  • Henk P. Penning at Jun 16, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupcpan-workers @
categoriesperl
postedJun 16, '11 at 8:03a
activeJun 16, '11 at 7:53p
posts9
users4
websitecpan.org

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2021 Grokbase