Can someone remind me of the regex to match "legal" distribution names?

I just had a bug reported for CPANdeps which only showed up when someone
pointed it at A/AU/AUTHOR/Foo-Bar-Baz-v1.2.3.tar.gz. Is the use of a
v-string there kosher?

--
David Cantrell | Official London Perl Mongers Bad Influence

What a lovely day! Now watch me spoil it for you.

Search Discussions

  • Eric Wilhelm at Feb 5, 2010 at 7:37 pm
    # from David Cantrell
    # on Friday 05 February 2010 11:34:
    I just had a bug reported for CPANdeps which only showed up when
    someone pointed it at A/AU/AUTHOR/Foo-Bar-Baz-v1.2.3.tar.gz.  Is the
    use of a v-string there kosher?
    I sure hope so (after years of use.) I thought the v was necessary
    even.

    --Eric
    --
    Minus 1 million points for not setting your clock forward and trying the
    code.

    Eric Wilhelm wrote:
    from David Cantrell
    on Friday 05 February 2010 11:34:
    I just had a bug reported for CPANdeps which only showed up when
    someone pointed it at A/AU/AUTHOR/Foo-Bar-Baz-v1.2.3.tar.gz. Is the
    use of a v-string there kosher?
    I sure hope so (after years of use.) I thought the v was necessary
    even.
    It's certainly not needed. eg, all of these exist and are properly indexed:

    D/DM/DMUEY/Sub-Todo-0.0.3.tar.gz
    D/DM/DMUEY/Digest-MD5-File-0.07.tar.gz
    D/DM/DMUEY/XML-Atom-App-v0.0.5.tar.gz

    Approx 4.5% of distributions use a three-part version, but only about 1%
    also include a v in the version.

    There is no one true indentation style,
    But if there were K&R would be Its Prophets.
    Peace be upon Their Holy Beards.
  • David Golden at Feb 5, 2010 at 10:10 pm

    I just had a bug reported for CPANdeps which only showed up when
    someone pointed it at A/AU/AUTHOR/Foo-Bar-Baz-v1.2.3.tar.gz.  Is the
    use of a v-string there kosher?
    I sure hope so (after years of use.)  I thought the v was necessary
    even.
    It's certainly not needed.  eg, all of these exist and are properly indexed:

    D/DM/DMUEY/Sub-Todo-0.0.3.tar.gz
    D/DM/DMUEY/Digest-MD5-File-0.07.tar.gz
    D/DM/DMUEY/XML-Atom-App-v0.0.5.tar.gz

    Approx 4.5% of distributions use a three-part version, but only about 1%
    also include a v in the version.
    We're trying to break people of the habit of dotted-decimal without a
    leading "v".

    -- David
  • Barbie at Feb 5, 2010 at 8:01 pm

    Can someone remind me of the regex to match "legal" distribution names?

    I just had a bug reported for CPANdeps which only showed up when someone
    pointed it at A/AU/AUTHOR/Foo-Bar-Baz-v1.2.3.tar.gz. Is the use of a
    v-string there kosher?
    If CPAN::DistnameInfo accepts it, which I believe it does, then it's
    valid.

    Cheers,
    Barbie.
    --