We don't have to put the data in any particular format. There's no need
to choose any format. We can have them all. With whatever I do, I want
to support everything.

If the CPAN client says it can handle JSON, it can download JSON. If it
wants YAML, it can download YAML. If it needs just text, that's fine
too. SQLite? Excel? XML? Oracle dump file? ROT13 ASCII art? Bikeshed
Standard Protocol Specification Hex Color Expanded Multidimensional
Language Storage Format Second Edition? No problem.

At the application level, there will be something that says "Give me
what I need for module Foo". Beyond that, it's just data connectors. If
we do it right, almost none of the code should care or know the format.

On the server side, we can have as many formats as Andreas cares to
make for us. After all, it's his database that is the actual source of
the data.

Search Discussions

  • Hans Dieter Pearcey at Jan 6, 2010 at 1:15 pm
    Excerpts from brian d foy's message of Wed Jan 06 08:13:56 -0500 2010:

    Is this in response to something in particular? Your message doesn't have any
    threading headers, so I'm missing context.

    hdp.
  • Adam Kennedy at Jan 7, 2010 at 10:04 am
    However, the format LIMITS the data.

    YAML can describe more things than JSON, JSON can describe more things
    than CSV and SQLite and friends.

    If you go with arbitrary formats though, this does seem to lead you
    towards a solution that involves tabular data rather than tree data,
    so that you have the SQLite and CSV options available.

    Adam K
[...]

  • Eric Wilhelm at Jan 7, 2010 at 6:50 pm
    # from Adam Kennedy
    # on Thursday 07 January 2010 02:04:
    However, the format LIMITS the data.
    Or data limits the format.
    If you go with arbitrary formats though, this does seem to lead you
    towards a solution that involves tabular data rather than tree data,
    To me, it's not worth letting the big data (indexes) be non-tabular.

    --Eric
    --
    "It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize that you are
    in a hurry."

groupcpan-workers @
categoriesperl
postedJan 6, '10 at 1:14p