31. Version changes

Proposal:

Description of changes in that versions and tags for changes. Useful for
submission to Freshmeat and for quick review of changes. --Chorny 18:51, 30
September 2009 (BST)

Search Discussions

  • Hans Dieter Pearcey at Oct 9, 2009 at 12:20 pm

    Excerpts from David Golden's message of Fri Oct 09 07:55:36 -0400 2009:
    31. Version changes

    Proposal:

    Description of changes in that versions and tags for changes. Useful for
    submission to Freshmeat and for quick review of changes. --Chorny 18:51, 30
    September 2009 (BST)
    This seems like getting people to agree on a machine-readable changelog format,
    which appears only slightly more likely than world peace. Am I misreading it?

    hdp.
  • Graham Barr at Oct 9, 2009 at 2:37 pm

    Excerpts from David Golden's message of Fri Oct 09 07:55:36 -0400
    2009:
    31. Version changes

    Proposal:

    Description of changes in that versions and tags for changes.
    Useful for
    submission to Freshmeat and for quick review of changes. --Chorny
    18:51, 30
    September 2009 (BST)
    This seems like getting people to agree on a machine-readable
    changelog format,
    which appears only slightly more likely than world peace. Am I
    misreading it?
    yeah. I can see the benefit of machine readable changelogs. I am just
    not sure
    that META is the right place for it.

    -1

    Graham.
  • Ricardo Signes at Oct 9, 2009 at 3:04 pm
    * Dieter
    This seems like getting people to agree on a machine-readable
    changelog format,
    which appears only slightly more likely than world peace. Am I
    misreading it?

    * Graham Barr [2009-10-09T10:36:48]
    yeah. I can see the benefit of machine readable changelogs. I am just
    not sure that META is the right place for it.
    I opposed the proposal for both the reasons above.

    --
    rjbs
  • David E. Wheeler at Oct 9, 2009 at 6:59 pm

    This seems like getting people to agree on a machine-readable
    changelog format,
    which appears only slightly more likely than world peace. Am I
    misreading it?

    * Graham Barr [2009-10-09T10:36:48]
    yeah. I can see the benefit of machine readable changelogs. I am just
    not sure that META is the right place for it.
    I opposed the proposal for both the reasons above.
    -1 Agreed.

    David
  • Steffen Mueller at Oct 9, 2009 at 3:01 pm

    Hans Dieter Pearcey wrote:
    Excerpts from David Golden's message of Fri Oct 09 07:55:36 -0400 2009:
    31. Version changes

    Proposal:

    Description of changes in that versions and tags for changes. Useful for
    submission to Freshmeat and for quick review of changes. --Chorny 18:51, 30
    September 2009 (BST)
    This seems like getting people to agree on a machine-readable changelog format,
    which appears only slightly more likely than world peace. Am I misreading it?
    Apart from my usual complaint about "where does the information come
    from?", this seems possible enough if you leave most of it up to the
    author: Add a sequence that has a version, an *optional* release date,
    and (a possibly optional) free-form field of changes. Personally, I'd
    like to go one step further and make the free form field really an array
    of free-form fields for individual changes. That offers the opportunity
    for opposed authors to use a single one of them as a free-form field for
    all changes.

    Steffen
  • David Golden at Oct 9, 2009 at 9:13 pm